Forum home Plants

Shrubs to plant under window front of house

shsshs Posts: 4
Hello would love your help. We have a recently started bed under the study window front of house - south west facing - six metres long. I’d like to remove or add to the tiny white hebes which are going to take forever to grow to a decent size. Would love a white theme, was thinking one or two white Lavatera which grows fast but being deciduous a bit bare in winter. Also concerned about choosing safe plants so close to the house foundations. Many thanks for any advice. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,041
    Hi @shs - what depth is the bed - ie front to back? That will determine choices.
    The eventual size of the Hebes will depend on the variety, but you can always stick some annuals in round them until they grow bigger. Spring bulbs too. 
    Are you wanting a mainly evergreen bed? That may narrow the choices a bit, especially if you want mainly whites  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,591
    Also, how high is the bottom of the window, do you want the planting to stay lower than that, and do you need access for window cleaners? (You can get away with leaving less space if you clean your own windows because you'll be more careful where you step).
    Plenty of evergreens have white flowers, but most of them grow tall and wide so wouldn't work in front of a window. It might be best to keep the hebes and add some small perennials (maybe white penstemon or osteospermum if it's not too cold in winter where you are, or white hardy geraniums) and bulbs (white varieties of crocus and daffodils are easy and come back up every year).
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,537
    Any white bed should have some narcissus Thalia...the most graceful of daffodils and a wonderful fragrance too. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • edited 3 September
    I grow Daphe Eternal Fragrance. White scented flowers and evergreen. Fairly vigorous but low growing and can be trimmed.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,041
    edited 3 September
    Oh absolutely @amancalledgeorge. They're among my favourite narcissus. SIlver chimes is similar and also lovely  :)
    Another I got last year which is stunning is Lieke. Also beautifully scented. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....