Forum home Plants

Evergreen climber ?

KLKL Aberdeen Posts: 84
Hi, I’m looking for an evergreen climber to cover my wall and fence for screening. It’s an east facing wall and gets no sun from the front but it does from the path at the side as well as a lot of wind. Preferably a fast grower so I can cover the area sooner than later and something colourful. 

It’s the area shown in yellow

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,110
    Ivy "Gloire de Marengo " - large green and yellow leaves with a tads of white.  Not as fast growing as common ivy ( IME anyway ) and can be trimmed.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,935
    My first thought would be ivy. You need something that is going to be able to cope with dry situation thanks to the wall footings. If it were possible to take out at least one paving stone (or replace it with a half size one), that would be better, it would bring the roots out away from any rain shadow.
  • KLKL Aberdeen Posts: 84
    I like the look of the ivy ‘Gloire de Marengo” the area I mentioned is 3m wide , how many plants would I need for this and how far should I space them ?. I could remove the full slabs to let them settle in, would this help them take hold ?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,935
    The more space you give the roots the better , the further away from the wall means there's no competition with the footings etc, and if you take the slab(s) out it means you can prepare the planting area more easily. 
    I've had a look at the one you mentioned, it's quite vigorous and you could probably get away with one plant. It might not look much when you first plant it, but as soon as it gets established it will be away.
    The main thing is to prepare the planting area as best you can.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/82862/Hedera-algeriensis-Gloire-de-Marengo-(v)/Details
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Clematis Armandii? 
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    Clematis Armandii? It looks nice but I read it’s not good in windy areas. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,041
    Gloire de Marengo is nice. One plant would be enough  :)
    Bear in mind that when you say 'fast growing' - nothing  is that fast. You're still looking at a few years before a climber will properly cover that area, even with optimum conditions.
    Anything faster growing would simply become a problem - very quickly. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

(Fairygirl said:
    Gloire de Marengo is nice. One plant would be enough  :)
    Bear in mind that when you say 'fast growing' - nothing  is that fast. You're still looking at a few years before a climber will properly cover that area, even with optimum conditions.
    Anything faster growing would simply become a problem - very quickly. 
    Appreciate your experienced advice, I was hoping to buy a taller plant or is that not how it works ? Just thinking about it I guess a creeper has to creep to attach itself to the surrounding environment ? I’m away most of the year so I’m sure each time I return it will look like it’s had a good growth spurt. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,041
    Not how it works  :)
    Normally, you'd buy a plant at around 3 feet. In order to be sold easily, they're kept pruned so that they can be attached to a support [cane usually] and depending on the age of the plant, there will be several  stems. On planting, you would undo all the ties, and spread the stems out, using canes or similar to guide them towards the fence/wall etc. Once they attach, those canes can be removed, although you often don't need to as they get covered. 

You can even attach stems with gaffer tape onto a wall, and remove once they root to it.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Clematis armandii as Hostafan1 suggested. We have it growing in an area between us and neighbours  and it is brilliant. The winds we have are liken to to a tunnel and it keeps going. Have had it for over 30 years in the same spot.
    Go for it. It is a very worthwhile plant and under used.