Forum home Plants

Moving a Clematis Montana

Hi all, I’m hoping I may be able to get some advice on moving a potted clematis Montana. It’s well established and is growing along a wire fence. 

The fence is coming down and the clematis is going to a different location in the ground.

Question is... where / how high do I chop this back? It’s pretty woody on its main stems and it’s still chucking on growth.

It’s in a tiny pot at the moment, I never water or feed it and it’s about 2meters tall and 4 meters wide. 

We inherited when we bought the house a couple of years back and the garden is now finally being landscaped ... so now is the time to move it. 

The ground workers arrive tomorrow so sadly it has to be done now. 

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Adam

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,313
    Keep it really well watered during and after the move. They can be cut back quite hard but you will lose next year's flowers. It might have been better to have moved it directly after flowering this year. That would have given it a chance to regrow before winter but you may not known that you would  have to move it at the time. I think it should be fine but it will get a bit of a shock. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,143
    It'll be fine  :)
    They're fairly indestructible, so just as @Bijdezee says - well watered before and after, and get the new planting hole ready before you start. Much easier.
    You can cut it back to a few feet, and it's just a case of losing flowers for a while, as already said   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the fast responses. Really appreciate the guidance