Forum home Plants

Lavender. Have I bought the wrong one again?

B3B3 Posts: 15,010
I finally got rid of a few lavender plants,that whatever I did, fell over and sprawled all over the place.
Ive bought 4 Munstead and I've a horrible feeling they might be the same as the un named ones I've dug out..
Please tell me they are reasonably self - supporting😟
In London. Keen but lazy.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,053
    I think Munstead are comparatively dwarf, l'm sure l had some years ago that were upright.  If they're in comparatively poor, well drained soil, that should help.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,010
    Oh good! My soil is definitely comparatively poor.😊
    Thank you @AnniD
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,991
    Munstead is a dwarf variety that should remain neat and not sprawl, but you will still need to trim them after flowering.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,847
    My Munsteads are quite nicely shaped upright bushes - but they are in the hottest, driest spot in a hot and dry garden and the soil is completely leached of nutrients by a mature hedge and a massive mature ash tree - both within 3m of the lavenders.

They get trimmed back to small, tidy plants at the beginning of August.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,010
    I noticed  on google that there is a dwarf variety,  but this one will grow to 2ft apparently. 
    The ones I dug out did well on a starvation  diet. I'll  be putting  the new ones in pretty much the same place, but a bit further back  
    I certainly  won't  wait 4 or 5 years before digging them out this time if necessary 😡