Forum home Wildlife gardening

Visitors to My New Pond.

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,789
I appreciate that many of you have had ponds for ages and have seen all sorts of creatures taking advantage of your waters but yesterday for me was magical.

I have only had my pond for about 3 months.

I was taking a break and sat in my shorts by the pond watching the pond skaters racing about and fighting.

Two white butterflies arrived and danced and soared into the air whilst  a wasp was taking a drink from the side of the sloping beach.

Some big flies from the comphrey buckets came and drank from the puddles by the waters edge.

My allotment neighbour Jane came to visit and as she arrived Steve the Frog who has been awol from the pond for over three weeks popped his head up to greet her. 

Then Colin The Frog who is smaller and just arrived today popped out as well.

Then two dragonflies arrived locked together nose to tail and spent 20 minutes dipping briefly into the water.It looked like the front one was trying to dislodge the one on the back.

Things could not get better I thought until a third Dragonfly perched on my shoulder for a few seconds and then dropped to my knee. He buzzed off and came back 3 more times.

Nature and a couple of hours in the sun recharged my batteries.

I was truly blessed and perhaps just a little tearful.

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Steve and Colin made me laugh. It sounds lovely. I've got a regular green frog who is so tame I can feed him slugs by hand. There is also a common frog who I only see occasionally, I think he's there but hides away. Paper wasps visit mine for water to make their pulp for nests. 

It's very relaxing to watch it all I agree. 
  • LizaJLizaJ Posts: 39
    I can totally relate to this NewBoy2, I get very excited when I see Dragonflies and all other critters around our pond.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,445
    That’s that’s lovely Newboy,  you’ll cry when the dragonfly larvae eat your tadpoles, they have voracious appetites. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.