Forum home Fruit & veg

Winter vegetable planting

Hello! I’d like to grow some vegetables this winter - I’m not worried what, as we eat everything. I’d just like to grow my own veg!
We live in Bristol, our soil is heavy red clay. I have a border which is in shade & pretty damp, so attracts slugs, a patio & a conservatory. 
I just wondered whether I could grown vegetables in grow bags on either the patio or placed on the shady border?
I’d like to start off broad beans for next year, but is there anything I could grow which could be harvested over the winter?  

• Leafy veg (e.g. chard), certain herbs (coriander / parsley) or radishes would be good choices IMO.
  • Thank you for replying. Can they be planted in grow bags (especially the radishes) or would they need more depth?  
    I’ve just looked at spring greens & Brussel sprouts too.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,340
    You may be in time for Kale and given you are in Bristol, various cut and come again salad plants tho the latter would need some protection over winter.
    If you are referring to the basic Grow Bags, I'm not sure you would have a lot of luck with the Broad Beans - IME they require more depth.  You could always put pots on the bag - cut the holes as marked and place the pots on top.  You'd get a tads more depth that way. 
  • Thanks Philippa. I’ve also got an upright seed propagator which I could weight down & tie to something - that could be protection for salad leaves. I just thought of grid bags because even with trying to improve my soul, it’s quite boggy in the winter. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,340
    Given the rain we've had in the SW recently, it has rather given a few problems veg wise.  Best of luck anyway :)
  • Thank you for replying. Can they be planted in grow bags (especially the radishes) or would they need more depth?  
    I’ve just looked at spring greens & Brussel sprouts too.
    Yes - none of the suggestions need deep soil unless you are talking something like a Daikon/Mooli radish where the shallow depth would stunt the usually long root.

I wouldn't recommend sprouts - think it is too late to plant and they are quite hungry crops due to their size.
  • Sprouts can be on next year’s list! Thank you for your advice!
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 724
    Swiss chard should still do ok I think, no idea on the grow bag idea 
  • You could stand your gro bags on end and put some potatoes in for Christmas. It would be no use putting the potatoes in the bags lying flat, not enough
  • That’s a great idea to stand the bags upright Joyce, thank you! Potatoes for Christmas, too!