Forum home Plants

Should I use weed killer before turfing ?

KLKL Aberdeen Posts: 86
I am going to turf the sloped area in the below picture but notice there are a lot of weeds so presume it’s best to get rid of these first to save them growing through the new turf. Is it ok to use weed killer or would this have an effect on the turf once laid , ie would it contaminate the soil. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,545
    You can use weedkiller without problems.
    I think you may struggle to grow grass on that slope, due to shade from tree and shed and the very dry soil you will have from the tree roots.
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    IMHO  grass on that slope will be nothing but agro for you, too many edges, trees, fences . It'll just be a mowing obstacle course
    Devon.
  • KLKL Aberdeen Posts: 86
    Ah ok, I didn’t realise that, this area has annoyed me for years so wanted to get it tidied up. Any suggestions?
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,478
    Look for ground cover plants for dry shade, bound to be a hardy geranium that will suit.
    But do keep anything you plant well watered until they are established 
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 306
    Ground cover plants that don't mind dry shade, bugle is one that springs to mind, comes in purple or green leaved varieties, seems to grow in any soil and even tolerates being walked on occasionally. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,388
    Epimedium ( sp ? ) is another dryish shade lover.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,164
    woodruff and heucheras
    edited 31 August
    I will go and have a look at the ground cover plants as I agree the grass would be difficult to maintain but i have got to the stage now that I just want the area covered as it’s an eyesore and I’m home for a few weeks so time to do something with it. I also felt that If I grassed the area it would make the garden look a bit bigger. 

Are these plants Mentioned hardy And how should I space them ? 

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,313
    A Wildflower mix? 
    Bijdezee said:
    A Wildflower mix? 

I looked at wild flower turf but it was over 3 x the price of standard Turf. Do you mean seeds ?