Forum home Plants

Best time of year to re positioning small acer tree

KLKL Aberdeen Posts: 86
Hi, I have a small acer tree I planted 2 years ago but now realise it’s not where I want it. If you look at the picture below you will see it at the bottom of the slope to the right of the large tree. I would like to move it to the top of the slope between the two smaller trees that you see to the left of the tree against the fence. 

Is this a good time to move it or should I wait ? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Whilst it's dormant, between leaf drop and bud break next spring . 
    So long as the ground isn't waterlogged, or frozen.
    Devon.
  • KLKL Aberdeen Posts: 86
    Ok,  I will leave it till the winter , thanks for your advice. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,776
    I'm a little concerned about the new home as it looks like it is an East-facing fence which isn't ideal for Japanese acers because of the early morning sun it will receive, which can damage young foliage after a spring frost.  They also need moist soil, some shade and don't like open positions so it may struggle in its proposed new home at the top of that bank which could be on the dry side.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KLKL Aberdeen Posts: 86
    edited 31 August
    Hi , Would the early morning sun not have damaged it in its current position if that’s the case ? Or does the fence create an extra issue ? I’m pretty clueless at gardening. 

I’m also away to turf the sloped area to match in with the existing grass. It has many weeds so should I use weed killer first or would that harm the new turf once laid, thanks. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,776
    It is currently sheltered by the evergreens close by, which will afford some protection.  It may do OK in its new home, but I just wanted to mention that the spot is less than ideal, and may affect its ability to recover, after the huge shock of being moved.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.