Forum home Fruit & veg

Our rather large sprouts in Bristol

Postage stamp garden with rather large sprouts here in Bristol. We have no idea why they are doing so well? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,630
    All you need is a set of pretty lights, some tinsel and a fairy ... you’ve got Christmas covered 🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 581
    Looks like the fairy part is covered @Dovefromabove  !!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,781
    Ladies! :D
    Are those flowers at the top?  Any plants with flowers have 'bolted' which is usually the result of them drying out at the roots at some point.  If you cut the flowers off, the sprouts themselves may continue to grow but it's possible that the developing sprouts will now 'blow' on the affected plants.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • cg651065cg651065 Posts: 4
    Ladies! :D
    Are those flowers at the top?  Any plants with flowers have 'bolted' which is usually the result of them drying out at the roots at some point.  If you cut the flowers off, the sprouts themselves may continue to grow but it's possible that the developing sprouts will now 'blow' on the affected plants.
    Thank you for the advice. It’s our second year and learning! 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,708
    it looks more like one of the jersey walking stick cabbages. I'd pinch out the top to force it to make the brussels.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    it looks more like one of the jersey walking stick cabbages. I'd pinch out the top to force it to make the brussels.
    Yes we have now done. Thank you 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,110
    Just how tall are the people in Jersey? :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    We are in Bristol