Forum home Garden design

Which tree best for small gardens

Hi,  i'm a gardening novice and have a very small garden (6 x 8 meters).  I am in process if redesigning garden and thinking about plants to add.  I have houses on all three sides and would like to plant a tree to break up the view of the house behind us.  As the garden is very small I was originally looking at tuscan totem pole cypress trees. Then I looked at pleached trees and then saw people talking about silver birch.  I'm so confused now.  We are getting a new fence so wont see through to neighbours.  I do plan on planting bamboo in pots on new patio to screen new seating area but would love something for the birds.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,368
    Maybe a crab apple in the top right corner, or an upright flowering cherry such as Amanogawa.  TBH in that small a garden I would stick to something you can easily cut down and control like a buddleja. No good for birds but they do attract butterflies.
  • I looked at the slender cherry, thought they looked beautiful and dont appear to take up much room.  I do already have a buddleja in a small pot I could plant.  The hoheria looks lovely and good that I can prune if it gets too unruly.  I wish I had a bigger garden but trying to make a little sanctuary with what I've got.   Thank you for  the ideas. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,184
    One thing to remember is trees = shade. Consider the impact on your garden and those of your neighbours. 
    Devon.
  • That's what I'm worried about. Wouldn't want to cause shade for neighbours garden. 
  • You've got to have a little tree!
    Something with a light open canopy and ideally fruit, blossom, and leaf colour changes..suggest an amelanchia, or a crab evereste/golden hornet...have fun
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,888
    I think a smaller crab would be good, I used to like amelanchier but having grown one for a few years, they're too boring! Nice (brief) blossom and autumn colour but pretty dull otherwise. If you are anxious about size, Euonymus alatus might be worth a look. To me they have a very elegant look about them. Medlar can look nice. Don't overlook apple/pear trees, with the right root stock they can fit in small spaces very well, I think pears are especially decorative. 
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,888
    Or perhaps a Cornus, alternifolia or kousa are very nice if your soil is suitable
  • Lots of interesting ideas but I think I'm swaying towards hoheria. I like the flowers and that it is not too wide so wont take over the garden especially as I can prune to size. @Songbird-1 are the leaves spiky to touch or is it just the look.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,956
    Sorbus - the rowan rather than the whitebeam, is ideal for smaller gardens. Light canopy, and great for wildlife.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SydRoySydRoy Posts: 167
    Liquidamber? There are a number of forms that may fit the bill.
    Don't dismiss conifers - they're not fashionable at the moment (I nearly said "on trend" then..phew) but select carefully and you may find one that suits.