Forum home Fruit & veg

Quick question re sloe gin qty's

I haven't made any for a few years (silly me) but I have 2 demijohns and I can't remember the ration of sloes and sugar. Is it something like 3lbs sloes / 14oz sugar?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,630
    I use half as much sugar as fruit, by weight. 🍷

eg 2lbs sloes : 1lb sugar
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 15,046
    Can I piggy -back on this one.
    We have been given an absolutely vile tasting flavoured gin. Rose and pomegranate.
    Is there anything I can poke into the bottle to make it taste better?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,851
    edited 31 August
    That does sound pretty awful @B3 ! Not a big fan of all these highly flavoured gins.

I'd put a drop in a glass and try adding a small amount of lime juice (not cordial) or maybe lemon juice. If either of those help maybe add a couple of strips of lime (or lemon) skin to the bottle and leave it to infuse for a couple of months. A slice of cucumber might help too.

Failing that - I wonder if a few drops of the vile gin added to a regular gin and tonic would give it an interesting lift? I do like a Hendricks G&T and I think H is distilled using rose and cucumber - but it's a nice (very subtle) floral note rather than a heavy flavouring. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thanks to all. I seem to remember now for a demijohn, 3lbs sloes is about right. But the Sipsmith take on sugar, I have done that before and it is a good idea. There nothing worse than too sweet, ruined imho....!
    Will try the lime juice. It can't make it any worse!
    I've always preferred Tanqueray's. Even before gin became fashionable. I don't think I'll risk adding the vile stuff in case I have two undrinkable bottles.
    If there were still parties,I suppose I could have taken it as my offering -a bit like the bottle of pass the parcel Dubonnet that moved about the country from party to party being left un-drunk and passed on. I reckon there was probably only a hundred bottles in extistence. They are probably a valuable rarity now.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,851
    @B3 Used to quite enjoy a Dubonnet and lemonade when I was MUCH younger and didn't know any better...😬

BTW - I wasn't suggesting mixing the bottles of gin. Just (maybe) making yourself a regular G&T and then putting a little topper of the vile stuff - just to see what the effect - better or worse was.

Gotta love Tanqueray for a regular G&T - definitely with you on that one.

Sipsmiths is a very good gin - but one I prefer to savour like a single malt. Way too good for making into sloe gin. I use a half decent supermarket own brand for that. W'rose is good - £16 a litre.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    Maybe one day I'll  try a glass 🤔