Forum home Fruit & veg

seeds to plant in containers

Please can you help me please.
I only have containers.
Can you advise me what is suitable for containers and can I sow seeds etc..for next year or Christmas?

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,373
    What seeds/plants did you have in mind ? Evergreen/perennial/annual ?  Have you considered bulbs ?
    What size containers ?
    Are you siting in sun or shade ?
  • CathyB.CathyB. Posts: 3
    I have large deep containers. 
    I have low wide containers.
    I would like flowers that bloom year after year.
    I have both sun all day.
    I'm very new to growing anything.
    Thank you.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,373
    I'd suggest you look at bulbs and perennials then.
    I don't think Christmas would produce very much if you are in the UK but you could make a start with some dwarf daffs ( scented ) , Hyacinths ( again scented ) for the Spring and then think about buying some perennial plants.
    It's difficult to offer specifics because you may want to keep to a certain colour scheme or indeed you may dislike certain colours.
    You could always fill your containers with annual plants next Spring until you have had a think about your permanent planting.
    Your location and "mini climate" in your garden would also be a deciding factor on what would thrive as would the amount of time you have to look after your containers - ie watering and feeding.  Containers always require more maintenance than plants in the ground. 
  • CathyB.CathyB. Posts: 3
    Hiya.
    Do these chilli's look ready for harvest.
    I'm not sure what variety they are.  Thank you. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,519
    That one looks as if it’s changing colour so is ripening ... you can use them when they’re green if you’re cooking something that requires a green chilli. However to develop its flavour fully I would wait until it’s changed colour. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh