Forum home Plants

Pansy plug plants

I've just received pansy plug plants from Thompson & Morgan offer in GW, it says to plant them out after aclimatising for 10 days, am I to assume that they'll flower over autumn & winter as they are tiny now? Won't the cold weather stop them from growing or worse kill them off?

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,478
    They look a bit to small to survive, I would pot them up and ket them grow for a bit.
  • K67 said:
    They look a bit to small to survive, I would pot them up and ket them grow for a bit.
    Yes I'll pot them up & keep them indoors until bigger & stronger, but do you think they'll be ok outside in oct November time?
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,478
    edited 31 August
    No need to keep them indoors, keep them sheltered outside and follow the acclimtising directions. If you have any of those multi-celled trays they would be fine in those until they look like the ones you buy in a pack of 6 at the supermarket. October is when I buy and plant mine.
  • K67 said:
    No need to keep them indoors, keep them sheltered outside and follow the acclimtising directions. If you have any of those multi-celled trays they would be fine in those until they look like the ones you buy in a pack of 6 at the supermarket. October is when I buy and plant mine.
    Thanks, I've potted them up & stood in sunshine at moment but will put them in greenhouse atnight till Oct 😃
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,072
    I received mine a couple of weeks back and potted them up. They've been outside all the time and I don't plan to bring them in at all.
  • I received mine a couple of weeks back and potted them up. They've been outside all the time and I don't plan to bring them in at all.
    Ok thanks, I assume then they may be autumn/winter flowering pansies 🙂
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,072
    @sueporter312002. Yes, they're autumn/winter flowering ones so I'll put them into containers in October probably. Mine were the same as the ones in your picture.
  • sarinkasarinka BedsPosts: 238
    They grow pretty quickly. Mine were tiny like that (but looked healthier) 2-3 weeks ago, when they arrived from Brookside nursery. Pricked them out and potted them on into cell trays and they grew massively. Kept outside by the back door all the while.

Some of them are now startig to flower.

• sarinka said:
    They grow pretty quickly. Mine were tiny like that (but looked healthier) 2-3 weeks ago, when they arrived from Brookside nursery. Pricked them out and potted them on into cell trays and they grew massively. Kept outside by the back door all the while.

Some of them are now startig to flower.

Wow they've grown very quickly, fingers crossed mine does the same 🙂