Forum home Plants

Planting above bulbs

Hi, I’m a new gardener.  I’ve had the pleasure of a riot of colour in my pots most of the year.  I’ve started to replace any shabby looking geraniums and petunias with cyclamen and winter pansies.  My geraniums and begonias are still going strong.  I’d like to plant tulips and daffodils ready for spring colour but for now I understand I can plant pansies on top and they’ll push through?  I assume I couldn’t do the same with brassica? 
If there are any suggestions how to keep some colour I’d love to hear them!  I’ve got several cordyline which helps but if there are any flowers I should get please advise?My garden has given me enormous pleasure in lockdown and whilst I know I won’t achieve the same effect in winter I’m confident I can do something with my pots other than leave everything to die like I usually do! 
Thank you.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,478
    Do you have a place to hide away off season pots?  One way to maintain color is to have several plastic pots that fit neatly into some quality glazed feature pots.  That way plantings can be swapped out as needed.  You can change them out as one fades to another one entering it's prime.  As your bulbs begin to fade tuck them somewhere out of sight but with enough sun to feed the bulbs (if you are using them again), and replace with the pot of plug plants you had back there that are now coming into bloom.  It takes some research and timing, but it means you have a continual display that is always in it's prime.  That way as other parts of the garden are lacking in display, you can move the pots around to create a focal point of color.  
    Utah, USA.
  • That’s a good idea.  I don’t really have anywhere to hide anything!  We’ve utilised every part of our garden with different zones - maybe I’ll need to create a hideaway! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,141
    It's easily the best way of doing it. 
    Start small - three pots all the same, or the same/similar colour, but differing sizes. Or one huge statement pot. That way, you can get an idea of what works best for your situation, and you can add more or not depending on what is working :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....