Forum home Plants

Tree identification help please

nomegbnomegb Posts: 7
Hi all.
I've got a young tree that I like, but need to move (because it's in the way of future ground works). So I thought I'd do some research and start by identifying it. Not so easy. Any sages out there who could give me a hand?
It has white-ish, smooth bark. Is 3" across at the base and about 12' tall. The whole thing's curled over, although the roots seem secure, so I'm guessing that it over extended itself to get above the thicket that it was living in, that I've since hacked away. I'll include some pictures (it's currently in flower) but the flowers remind me of pink carnations and the leaves; mid green, spade drill bits?
Any ideas gratefully received.
Thanks.
Naomi xx

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,124
    It's a tree peony, lucky you!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,143
    Tree peony I think.
    Late if it's only flowering now though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nomegbnomegb Posts: 7
    Cool. Thanks.
    I was sort of hoping that it was an overgrown shrub and I could lop it for the transfer. But I guess if it's an official tree, then probably not? How big do they get? For choosing a forever home for it. Any advice on moving it? Other than a very big stake...
    Thanks.
    Naomi
    I don't grow them but several people here do. @Dovefromabove might advise - assuming it is one. 
    I think they're normally pruned each year though, which is possibly why yours is so big. Autumn normally I think. They usually make about 6 feet at most, but it would depend on variety.

Technically - they're shrubs as they're woody plants, unlike their herbaceous cousins.  :)

Thanks... I'm not sure.... It's definitely only got a single, tree like truck. It's had plenty of sun to the base, for over a year and it hasn't sprouted any new stems. Although the flowers and leaves look spot on... Other than the timing. I'm in Devon, so it shouldn't flower late...? Dunno. Not confident enough to chop it back...
    Naomi
    Ah - I see @Buttercupdays posted at the same time as me with the same ID.
    She will know more about them than I do.
    There could be many reasons for it only having a single trunk- not being pruned back is the most likely one.
    Many plants have been flowering at odd times this year too, so the timing isn't necessarily out of the ordinary.

OK. Thanks. So I should cut it down to a foot or so for the move (once it's gone dormant for the winter)? That makes things easier....
    Thanks a lot.
    Naomi

I'm not sure re  moving them, but when dormant would certainly be the best time. As I said - not something I've ever grown.
    I'll tag @Dovefromabove and @fidgetbones in and see if they can offer more info  :)

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,564
    Sorry to be difficult.
    But surely leaves say this is Hibiscus syriacus...a double flowered form.
    Leaves very wrong for Paeonia

https://www.google.com/search?q=hibiscus+syriacus+leaves&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjagPjazsPrAhXJOcAKHQYsDJMQ_AUoAXoECA4QAw&biw=1280&bih=579&dpr=1.5

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .