Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wildlife gardening

Collected these acorns from our top garden, there was a thread about planting more oak trees, if any one wants them they are welcome to collect. 

• batwood14batwood14 Posts: 191
    edited September 2020
    @cornelly that's not a garden - that's a park  :smiley:
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,894
    Gorgeous.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,763
    My neighbor down the road has acorns dropping off into the street.  I thought just today about picking some up to plant.. but then I also thought about how it will be a good 20 years before I get much shade from it.  
    Utah, USA.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,390
    That's the main problem @Blue Onion  :D
    Beautiful garden @cornelly. You must love it, and no wonder.  
    Maybe not wanting too many more big oaks though  ;)
    We have lots round here, but the squirrels get most of the acorns. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• cornellycornelly Posts: 959
    We do enjoy our garden of some 28 years, it was a bedding plant nursery before a garden, we laid it all down as a garden in the autumn of 1992, getting a little hard work for us now we are in our 80's, still it keeps us on our toes, the photo is only half the garden nearer the house is the veg plot and glasshouse and shed.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,989
    The first shot is a great example of how planting can make a garden look bigger by hiding the boundaries!
    Loxley, the garden is about a hundred yards long by the the width of the house and drive, we prefer seeing plants to fencing and walls, but it wasn't our intention to make the garden appear wider, it has just happened that way.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,390
    It's lovely @cornelly, and a huge credit to your hard work. 
    Understandable that you're finding it a bit harder now though. The trees at the far end are an easier option though. Do you think you'll do less perennials/annuals/veg etc, and have more shrubs to make it less work? 
    I didn't realise how low maintenance my garden was until I retired, as it's necessary to have good year round options here. It's only a fraction of the size of yours, but a former garden was big, and it would definitely have been kept mainly trees, shrubs and grass. There was already a lot of grass, but it's feasible to just pay someone to do that bit, if nothing else, and stick to a small amount of pottering etc. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

@fairygirl, Thank you, whilst I am able I will still continue to do what is needed, some of the flower beds had to be grassed, as roots from the larger shrubs and trees were making cultivation impossible, not just roots from our garden but next door as well, they have a large flowering cherry which they mistakenly pruned some years back resulting in massive growth, the veg plot is something that I would never dispose of, we do very well from it, potatoes should last until December, and onions too, peas and beans did well, plus greyhound cabbage. seed ordered for next year, cannot see me just pottering, only time will tell.