Forum home Plants

Abutilon Megapotamicum

pinkpeonypinkpeony Posts: 107

I've planted this at this in a sheltered sunny border alongside the house - is this location ok? I have no experience of abutilon but i liked the look of its promise on the label it gave little or no other info.  Will the roots become a problem re. foundations? Your advice please.

thank you.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,638
    I doubt the roots would be an issue. I would not plant something like this into the ground if it's quite a small plant. I bought one 4 years ago for someone around autumn time, and they left it by their south facing wall all winter. Come spring, it was totally dead, clearly did not survive even up against a south-west facing wall. I can only assume it was too cold and wet and the plant was around 2 litre in size.

I reckon they need to be grown to a decent size and then planted in at spring time rather than autumn. I think they are one of those plants that gets more hardier once they mature. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,589
    Have to say I have a wonderful image in my head of a huge, friendly pot - megapotamicum - but, as @Fire says these plants are not very hardy so, unless you can give it full sun and well drained soil in a spot that won't freeze it, I suggest you put it into decent sized friendly pot and keep it in a frost free greenhouse or conservatory or a cool room in the house for its first winter and then plan it out in spring when the worst frosts are over.

Have a read of this - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/85/i-abutilon-megapotamicum-i/details  and take some cuttings at the appropriate moment as insurance.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw