Forum home Fruit & veg

HELP!! What do u do now?

Hi there

So my raspberry canes and tayberry canes are growing out of control as u can see in the photos, but there hasn't been any fruit. Will i just cut then down or what? 

Also my strawberry plants, do i cut them back or just leave them till next year? they have produced fruit but still continue to grow. 

Some help would be much welcome 

Thanks
Nathan  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,050
    Strawberries don't need any attention, other than removing, or potting up runners for more plants. They'll gradually die back a bit as autumn/winter appears, and you can just remove dead foliage if you want. I usually do it in early spring, when I'm refreshing the pots they're in, and giving them some food .

I don't grow any of the others, but they would normally need correct pruning to ensure fruit. Someone else will advise you on those  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 782
    Yes - don't worry about the strawbs (other than looking after the runners). Which type of raspberry have you got and how long have you had it? I'm considering raspberries for next year.
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 306
    I don't know about tayberries but pruning raspberries does depend on when they are supposed to bear fruit. The ones which fruit in the summer should have the canes which have borne fruit cut down to the ground. If they haven't had fruit on a particular cane leave that one and it will bear fruit next year. If they are too tall you can cut them down a bit (so they are about 160cm /5ft tall).
    If they are an autumn fruiting variety then you just cut the whole lot down to the ground in February.
    Hope that helps. 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,121
    Tayberries, loganberries and blackberries - you cut out the stems that have fruited and keep the new ones.
    Hope you have plenty of room, in my garden they can easily reach 12 ft+. I have them growing along a drystone wall and just tie them in to the barbed wire on top (next door is a sheep field), so they get plenty of sun.
    There's a berry and apple crumble ready for the oven now :)