Forum home Fruit & veg

What’s eating my sweet corn?

2»

• strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    edited August 2020
    I'm stubbornly sticking with squirrels ;) . I've had a squirrel chew through a mature broccoli stem and take a  head up a tree, and those stems are like iron, they're definitely capable of damage. Perhaps my squirrels have been eating spinach like Popeye  :D

(Incidentally, maybe it's due to size in my phone but I can't see the stems knocked down at the base? I can see cobs on the floor and stems snapped half way up, like a squirrel has climbed it and snapped it over...)
  • I think it was squirrels,I had carrots right next to the corn and they weren’t touched,badgers would have had them too.Also there are no holes in my lawn,which they would have had a go at.Thanks for all the comments.👍😀

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,826
    I think squirrels too. We lost 50 cobs in an afternoon, some left hanging like that, but the trail led back to a squirrels drey. They only did it one year. Some years they take every camellia flower instead.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • squirrels attacked ours. Does anyone have ideas of how to keep them off ?
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,597
    badgers.

On our allotment most of us have stopped trying to grow sweetcorn as they are always taken.

My buddy buried a wire fence about 18 inches into the soil and added his own urine next to it so the badgers had to get theit snouts in another animals urine.

It helped a bit.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • i had all of my sweetcorn eaten. nibbled the whole lot off... I thought either rats or foxes.
    We've had quite an increase in the rat population at our allotments this year, there was also a lot of fox poo on my plot!