Forum home Wildlife gardening

Identification please?

About 5 cm long, found in tomato greenhouse, also a smaller one found under an outdoor tomato plant. Black with green stripe on back.Preview attachment IMG_3131.jpg
IMG_3131.jpg
3.4 MB

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,330
    Your link doesn't work I'm afraid. If you use the icon that looks like a mountain in a postcard, you can load photos by using the info there  :)

5cm is quite big. Is it a caterpillar of some kind?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I thought it might be a juvenile slow worm but pictures on the internet show them, as the adults, all green.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,066
    It looks like some species of flatworm to me.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,881
    Oh crikey! Racking my brain ... we had a similar query and pic a few years ago ... I’ll try a search ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

edited August 2020
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,881
    edited August 2020
    @BobTheGardener
    And apparently they said it’s not likely to be doing anything harmful. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BookwormlouiseBookwormlouise Posts: 4
    edited August 2020
    @BobTheGardener  Thank you - the next question is - what do I do about them if I find them again? 
    Apparently, they eat "arthropods such as woodlice, insects and spiders." and are not one of the types which eat earthworms, so I would personally leave them be as I could do with reducing the woodlice population here!  Always tricky with an invasive non-native species of anything though as you never know what the long term effects are going to be.