Forum home Fruit & veg

Vegetable ideas for dear old dad

Good afternoon everyone.  Has anyone any ideas what vegetables my dear old dad could grow over the coming autumn/winter months.  Dad is 89 and in good physical health but gets quite melancholy come Summer’s end.  He loves his veg garden in the spring and summer but after the runners, tomatoes and onions are over/lifted he loses interest.  I’d like to surprise him with some seeds/sets/plugs that will keep him occupied over the autumn and winter.  He has a good size greenhouse and cold frames in the garden.  Any ideas would be much appreciated.  He’s not too keen on ‘modern’ veg and prefers traditional..... I think you know what I mean 😉. Thanks in advance everyone. 

• We have just sowed some more carrots in our polytunnel as we did last year to great success. It is not heated.
    Also some more lettuce sowed this week again in the polytunnel.
    Haven't tried beetroot in the polytunnel but may be worth a go in the greenhouse even if it just gives tiny beets.
    What about leeks outside and of course autumn sown broad beans?
  • AllyblueeyesAllyblueeyes Posts: 283
    @bertrand-mabel.  Thank you.   I was talking to mum about getting him broad beans as we all love them.  Can you recommend a variety of carrot and broad bean that’ll grow well if sown now? I’ll definitely get him some beetroot seeds!  Great start to my list 👍
  • The carrots are Autumn King 2.
    We have given up sowing carrots outside as none germinate but in the polytunnel they have been brilliant. They do need to be kept watered though.
    The broad beans that we sowed last autumn outside were The Sutton Dwarf. They took a long time to get going but the harvest in the end was the best we have had. We also only had one blackfly infestation which was quickly cleared with soapy water.
    We have got a packet ready to sow again this year.
    @bertrand-mabel. I’ve just ordered lettuce lobjoits and broad bean AQUADULCE both of which say recommended for autumn sowing .... and I’ve just found carrot Autumn King 2!  Thanks so much! 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,055
    I don't know if your dad (or you) is a fan of garlic, but that could be planted in the Autumn.  Possibly not classed as strictly a vegetable, but l used to have success with it. 
    I hope your dad has a successful harvest in due course  :)
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,520
    edited 27 August
    Does he like mushrooms on toast?

Those mushroom grow-boxes are great fun.🙂

https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable-Plants/Grow-Your-Own-Mushrooms/list.htm

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,184
    Loads of greens will happy grow over winter for harvesting. Chinese veg and chard and hardy spinach...  they'll all happily go through with the protection of a greenhouse.
    AnniD said:
    I don't know if your dad (or you) is a fan of garlic, but that could be planted in the Autumn.  Possibly not classed as strictly a vegetable, but l used to have success with it. 
    I hope your dad has a successful harvest in due course  :)
    Thank you @AnniD. Me, my husband and my mum adore garlic but it’s not for dad.  I may try to persuade him that he could grow it for us .... not sure that would work but I’ll give it a try! 👏
    pansyface said:
    Does he like mushrooms on toast?

Those mushroom grow-boxes are great fun.🙂

https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable-Plants/Grow-Your-Own-Mushrooms/list.htm

Great idea @pansyface ..... will definitely order some of these! 😄
    pansyface said:

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,110
    Monty was sowing parsley last week for April onward harvest, but said it need to be sown asap.
    I think Lambs Lettuce is growable over winter but I've not tried

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.