Forum home Fruit & veg

Are these safe to eat?

I am a complete grow you own newbie and honestly, haven't a clue what I am doing...

I have recently had what might seem a successful growth of some lettuce varieties and have decided to cut some for dinner, however, I am not sure whether the incy wincy spots on them should be of concern? Please advise...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,443
    Perfectly normal ... just give them a good rinse in cold water and enjoy.  Well done for 'growing your own'.  We've hardly bought any veg or salad stuff this summer ... it's great isn't it  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Perfectly normal ... just give them a good rinse in cold water and enjoy.  Well done for 'growing your own'.  We've hardly bought any veg or salad stuff this summer ... it's great isn't it  B)
    Thank you! It made dinner all that more enjoyable knowing they came from the garden! We had chilli's from the garden too... Looking forward to seeing what else we can grow :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,443
    😃  🍅 🥬🥒🥔🍠🥦🥕🧄🧅🥔🍒🍇🍐🍎 🍽 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,050
    Glad you enjoyed them @VeronicaMayP
    and if you find any crunchy bits, just regard it as extra protein.... :D

Seriously - always good to have some home grown lettuce in a sandwich, or similar. I keep trying to get a friend to grow a few pots for her meals, but she always screws up her face and says 'there'll be bugs in it' and carries on buying bags of stuff washed in chlorinated water...  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,159
    Too hot and dry to do good salad leaves in summer here but I've grown some oak leaf lettuce in window boxes on our terrace which is shaded and cooler and they've been really tasty.   Beats commercial stuff hands down.

You could maybe try sowing some Chinese leaves like pak choi now and some rocket @VeronicaMayP.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,050
    I had to buy new seed this year - a dark one called Deronda, which is also very attractive, and good old Lolla Rossa which is always reliable. Lettuce is definitely better in cooler conditions.

I find rocket very easy, and the wild one in particular is very long lasting. I keep some for flowering [for the bees] and some for cutting, although that often overlaps. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• cornellycornelly Posts: 901
    Little Gem are our favourites, lovely crisp leaves, even when they begin going to seed they are still eatable.
  • Thanks all for the advice  :*