Forum home Garden design

Dungboard for a fence?

ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 411
There's a hideous bit of my garden that I really need to deal with this year and I need some help! We are trying to reduce work and so want to remove a long section of leylandii type conifer hedge that runs between us and a neighbour. She has  put up a fairly weedy fence on her side of it, probably to avoid having to look at / cut the bloomin thing. It's south facing and runs along the back of our veg patch so I'm thinking it would be nice to have it as somewhere to grow fan or espalier fruit. If I was loaded I'd build a brick wall but I'm not so I was wondering if dung boarding might be good, as it's thick and might retain more warmth than your standard fence? The other major consideration is that we are VERY exposed and this boundary takes a battering from some violent south-westerlies, so it needs to withstand that and not cause too much turbulence for our neighbour (although she's a cow, so I won't mind too much if it does!). Initially I was going to have chestnut hurdle fencing here, as we have in the rest of the garden, because it lets the wind through it a bit, but I don't think that will be very helpful for the fruit growing idea. Any thoughts? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,949
    I'd worry about close board fencing like dung-boarding if you get strong winds ... and you definitely do where you are ... I know that area fairly well and your south-westerlies can be ferocious ... a bit like our north-easterlies.

Any ideas anyone ........ @Hostafan1 and @Lyn are down your way ... they might have some ideas about what'll cope with the wind and still be ok for fruit ... 

Our espaliered pear isn't growing against anything ... it actually forms a 'fence' between the terrace and the end of the veg patch ... 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 411
    Well if your pear isn't growing 'against' anything then I guess it doesn't really matter as much as I thought! Thanks Dove, we'll probably go with something more hit-and-miss, like the chestnut hurdles I have elsewhere in the garden. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,526
    What on earth is a dungboard?