Forum home Fruit & veg

Strawberries

Juniper4Juniper4 CheshirePosts: 58
When do you know if your strawberries have come to the end of their lives? I have some which are 3 years old. Would like to know if they will go on producing. As I’m thinking of using the raised bed that they are in to grow something else.
What should I do? 

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,409
    Most strawberry varieties will start to be less productive after their first full 2 years.  That is why most people tend to grow on the runners produced in the 2nd year to make new plants for the 3rd year.  An ongoing cycle over 3 years really.
    If you haven't grown any runners on but aren't particular about growing strawberries again, you can clear the bed for something else.  Up to you really :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    If they have any runners on them, you can peg them down now for removing later, which will then give you the new plants for future. You can always grow them in pots or troughs too as you want the bed for other plants.
    Depends on whether you want them though, as @philippasmith2 says.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 800
    As has been said, they just become less productive after 3-4 years. Some of my plants will be approx. 12 years old and still producing fruit (albeit not as much). However, next year I will be segregating the new plants I've grown from runners this year and will be able to give a more scientific view of how productive the newbies are (versus the oldies, which I'll keep in pots elsewhere in the garden).

I'd stick them in pots and use the bed for something else, if you're so inclined.