Forum home Fruit & veg

What veg is this? and other newbie questions

tuffnelljohntuffnelljohn DartmoorPosts: 62
I was given some plants and stupidly didnt label them!

I think this is a savoy(?). If so, do I pick the leaves off to encourage growth, or leave it til its ready to harvest?

Is this kale or chard (or something else)?

Is this chard?

Should I pick the outer leaves off (to eat) to encourage new growth, or wait til it gets bigger?

This is a squash, but dont know what type. How do I know when its ready to harvest?

Thankyou! :)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,156
    Savoy cabbage (top) is a hearting cabbage so leave it alone to grow to decent size.  They are hardy so can be left to mature.

Curly kale and cavolo nero are leafy plants so let them get to a decent size - at least 30 to 45cms - then start picking leaves as you need them from around the centre but not the actual growing tip.  The lower leaves will be too tough to eat but will carry on feeding the plant.  The tip will carry on growing and producing more tender leaves you eat when they're big enough.

Can't see any chard - it has a broad white midrib and spinachy looking leaves unless it's ruby or rainbow in which case it will have narrower ribs in red, orange, yellow......

Your pumpkin looks good.   Carry on watering the plant and let it grow on till mid September or later, depending on when frosts start, then harvest it with at least an inch of stalk and store it in a cool, dry, well ventilated spot till you're ready to eat it. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 574
    edited 26 August
    @Obelixx  Hi - I thought the second photo looked like broccoli and the next one a cauliflower.  I only have curly kale so am not too sure.  Bon appetit -  lunchtime!

Anyway, @tuffnelljohn you may need to heighten the netting to allow the leaves to get bigger - the white butterflies can and will lay their eggs against the netting.    Your plants are looking good though!  I usually release my butternut etc. when the plant has died and is not giving any further nourishment to the fruit.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,156
    To me they all look the same when little.  I have a batch of wee pots of PSB and cavolo nero to grow for this winter and they got knocked over and mixed up and I can't tell them apart now.   Time will tell.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • tuffnelljohntuffnelljohn DartmoorPosts: 62
    @tuikowhai34 @Obelixx . Excellent - thankyou!! :)
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 574
    edited 27 August
    @Obelixx      Just spent the morning rehashing my netting system as the cabbages take over.  My cauliflower are leggy this year, broccoli coming along too.  So hot here but apparently, rain is forecast for Saturday and a drop in temperature for la rentée.  Phew!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.