Forum home Fruit & veg

Is this a blackcurrant?

Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 351
edited 25 August in Fruit & veg
I’m reasonably confident.

Most of my soft fruit and fruit needs identifying and encouraging, but this has gone beserk between the Blackberry and the Bamboo, and is one requiring to be taken in hand.

Th top of the wall in pic 2 is about 2.2m.

thanks

Ferdinand
“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,104
    It certainly looks like a blackcurrant.
    If you crush a leaf it should smell of blackcurrants if it's a blackcurrant.
    However, it may be a flowering currant which just produces flowers but no fruit, I'm not sure how to tell the difference from a photo though.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 351
    edited 25 August
    Thanks.

I know flowering currants - having always had them in the garden everywhere I have lived. Use to hide behind one in hide and seek so I am quite acquainted.

My impression of flowering currants is that the leaves are a bit more hairy than these - think fifteen year old with a bum fluff beard aiming for a goaty, less shiny and more deeply veined, and feel softer rather than crisp. And perhaps are paler, softer shade of green.

Ferdinand
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 932
    I would expect it to have the stalks for the berries still attached if it were a blackcurrant, it looks more like a flowering currant to me, but it could just be in to dark a corner to fruit I guess.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,773
    I also think flowering currant is more likely - there are several species.  I have a yellow flowered one which looks a bit like that and because mine is shaded after midday, it always sends-up new tall growth every year so needs an annual pruning after flowering.  I don't think they like shade.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    edited 25 August
    Right. Thanks for the comments.

So I’ve been in the other way and squeezed past the apple tree, the other Apple tree, the rampant raspberries, the spreading mini box hedge, and the block-next-doors-upstairs-window bamboo.

And underneath at the back I found this, which I think are attached to the same bush, and suggest it is a red currant. I will pop out later and harvest them for my recuperatory G&T later.

i hope my bilberry rake will do the job in short order.

Will need a little taking in hand but I can hope for a decent crop next year.

Because of all the showers this morning I am now somewhat damper than I was 5 minutes ago, but Alexa is promising thunderstorms later.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 932
    Yup that looks pretty conclusive evidence!
    edited 25 August
    So that means I have a least 2 redcurrants, and at least zero blackcurrants, amongst the identifed approx 10-12 soft fruit bushes, which also include at least 3 gooseberries (assumption based on which ones have prickles). Ignoring blackberries and raspberries.

I feel a garden sketch plan and "how to prune soft fruit" thread coming on.