Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee plants in your garden

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,535
    A bit of Phacelia.

I grow a half bed ( 7 foot ) of it every year on the allotment and can spend minutes just watching many types of bees feeding.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 465
    Here in the city I have many crepe myrtle trees whose blossoms attract bees.  Also my Texas Purple Sage attracts them.  Down at our rural cabin property, there are too many to name, as most of the 40 acres is covered with wildflowers and blooming weeds that attract bees.  We have wild Passiflora and wild Beebalm.  Also tons of wild sunflowers,  blooming (peach) Dock and white wild prickly poppies.  The yard has tons of wild Oxalis (Wood sorrel), too.  Pasture has wild purple thistle and Cone Flowers that attracts mostly butterflies, but some bees.  Those really draw in the Hummingbird moths.  Right now, in the Fall. the Bastard Cabbage (a weed actually) (photo below) is in full bloom all over the place.  Yellow blooms are tiny, but it gives an overall yellow glow to the pasture in October.  I also have Lantana planted in two spots front and back gardens to draw butterflies and bees. 

The one plant I set out for myself and the bees to enjoy was a purple Duranta erecta 'Sweet Memories'.  The bees and butterflies (many of both) seem to LOVE it!  !

My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 220
    Much fewer bees here recently but seen them in the last couple of days visiting self-seeded rocket and borage flowers.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,173
    Yeay for purple tansy. We've planted it on a community street plot and it's flowering its sox off. We only seeded in August - so nipped in just in time.
    🧦🧦🧦🧦

• Common ivy. When in full flower I can hear a hum when I go near it. It is thick with bees. Lavender always has a few bumbles on it, also cat mint, most of the herbs, welsh poppies, fruit blossom.Apple, pear, black currants, especially raspberries and globe artichokes.
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 571
    Salvia hotlips flowering for 7 months here in the north east ,still flowering now and always as bees on it.
  • French Lavender

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,224
    Aquilegia,  Hawthorne  and Allium Siculum or Sicilian Honey Garlic are loved and always busy.
  • pinkskyinthecitypinkskyinthecity Nottinghamshire, England Posts: 37
    I concur wholeheartedly to everyone's suggestions. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Comfrey - bees go wild for this and if you chop it down after flowering, it'll re-flower. You can do this twice in a season. On the plus side, they have a long flowering period. I've got Comfrey Bocking 14 should anyone want a root or two. 

PS. The bees goooooo mad for my Raspberry flowers - constant zzzing which is the best music to hear in springtime :smiley:
  • LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 895
    I concur wholeheartedly to everyone's suggestions. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Comfrey - bees go wild for this and if you chop it down after flowering, it'll re-flower. You can do this twice in a season. On the plus side, they have a long flowering period. I've got Comfrey Bocking 14 should anyone want a root or two. 

PS. The bees goooooo mad for my Raspberry flowers - constant zzzing which is the best music to hear in springtime :smiley:
    I hope to plant some comfrey next year, maybe even some borage which I hear they also like. I'd love to take you up on your kind offer of a root cutting please.