Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee plants in your garden

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 895
    Basil African Blue 
    Many thanks to Big Blue Sky for your help  ;)
  • JamesS-BJamesS-B Gateshead, Tyne and WearPosts: 245
    I'd forgotten about my Jacob's Ladder. The bees loved it in early summer when it was in full bloom.  

Bees do seem to like the blue/purple flowers don't they. I'm sure I read that they can see purple flowers better than any other colour.
  • sarinkasarinka BedsPosts: 239

Makes sense! 
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 152
    The honeybees are going wild for this Hylotelephium (sedum) that has recently started flowering. Not sure what species/cultivar it is. The flowers are quite a pale pink colour and the leaves while green have a slight reddish blush to them. The stems are purple. I counted eight honeybees on the whole plant at one time earlier today. 

That sedum looks a bit like Autumn Joy, which is a popular variety.
  • shazza 3shazza 3 Posts: 89
    Lavender Hidcote, a white and pink buddleia, geraniums, veronica, lilac, cowslips, apple trees, cherry tree
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 934
    edited 6 September
    The plants I have really noticed bees on this year are (roughly in flowering order) Apple trees, currant bushes, strawberries, white clover (made it hard to pick strawberries!) borage, mallow (blue form) and now they are on pot marigolds and thistles. but they went for other plants over the marigolds when they had more choice. I notice that the mallow only attracted bumblebees, but there were at least 4 different species on it at one time.
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 1,395
    Cosmos, an annual flower but the they are always loads of bees on them. We grow them every year....the plants not the bees!......and I love them.
  • Echium - 14 plus feet in height - the bees love them!  Actually this picture was taken early in the year, it did expand somewhat and actually turned out to be the best we've ever had!