Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee plants in your garden

LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 894
edited 23 August in Wildlife gardening
I'm interested in knowing which plants we all have in our gardens that actually get covered in bees.

I know there are lists of plants that bees are supposed to like, but which plants do you have in your garden that bees actually visit, or swarm over?

For me it's giant scabious, geranium Johnsons Blue & persicaria amplexicaulis

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    My bees don't wear pants @LeadFarmer :D

Heleniums are probably best for me, plus Liatris,  and best of all - the wild rocket. Sweet peas too. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 894
    Fairygirl said:

Good spot, now edited  :D
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,027
    Fairygirl said:

Good spot, now edited  :D
     :D 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,432
    Russian sage and purple tansy.  But they are all over my entire pollinator garden grown from seed packets.. but those two are the most busy in my garden.
    Utah, USA.
  • JamesS-BJamesS-B Gateshead, Tyne and WearPosts: 244
    edited 23 August
    Spiraea Genpei, Nepeta Neptune and Purrsian Blue, Lamium Purple Dragon, Lavender Hidcote, all varieties of Thyme. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,064
    edited 23 August
    Royal Bumble bush salvia, geranium Rozanne, Dahlia Bishop of Llandfuff, lambs ears, golden privet, apple blossom, purple tansy, linaria, borage, oregano.

Things sold as great bee plants that I have not seen bees on in my garden - nemesia, erigeron, sedum.
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 257
    Welsh poppies and lavender are very popular with the bees. They have gone crazy for Agastache Beelicious Purple I purchased this year.
  • RubiRubi Posts: 131
    edited 23 August
    I’m sat in my garden now and have four bees on the sunflowers my son’s planted. Four bees 🐝 on one flower. :)
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,288
    Salvia, Perovskia, veronica, cornflowers, poppies and large sedum (forgotten the new name) but most of all they like the herbs when in flower, especially marjorum and thyme. 

I planted scabious but they've just ignored it. *shrug*

• Jenny-RJenny-R Posts: 28
    In my garden Nepeta Walker’s Low is the most popular With the bees closely followed by Penstemon Garnet, Veronicastrum and geraniums Rozanne and Brookside.