Forum home Wildlife gardening

Can anyone identify??

Okay this is my first post. Sorry it’s rather gross, but there is a very large bird dropping in my garden below our back gate. It’s larger than it looks on the photo. We live in an area where there are a number of birds of prey, falcons, owls etc. The poo was down the side of our house yesterday and today it’s in the back garden. There are some scratch marks on the gate where this bird was clearly perched. I’m just interested to find out if anyone can help? We have house martins nesting on the eaves and many sparrows Nesting around our house, seagulls, pigeons, wood pigeons, crows and magpies, etc. So we know our poop!! But this is drastically different. Very curious 🧐 

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 571
    I think that if it was down to a bird of prey you would see some evidence of what it had eaten and it couldn't digest.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Could it be a duck?  I may be wrong, but I think they tend to do those stick-shaped poops.  When you take this sort of picture, it helps if you put something beside it to indicate size.  A ruler is ideal, but anything of a standard size, such as a matchbox or biro.