Forum home Wildlife gardening

Raised pond

I have just bought a raised wooden pond 1.5 metres square. I want to encourage frogs etc so any ideas on ramps, and any other tips would be welcome. Also how do I fill it..I don't have rainwater yet so can I use tap water?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,163
    Yes - just fill it. It'll be fine for anything after a week or so. In many areas, tapwater is fine anyway.  :)
    You can use bricks, stones, logs - anything really. Frogs can get in and out quite easily anyway, but it's safer for hedgehogs if you should have any. Once you have more planting  in and around your pond, that also helps.
    Cover for wildlife nearby is also important. Shrubs, grasses, especially anything evergreen, is particularly useful for them to hide and shelter in, and will provide protection from predators. 
    Good luck with it - we love a pond on the forum  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for your advice. 
  • edited August 2020
    My first lockdown project was the creation of this pond. The vessel is a plasterer's trough (I bought it brand new). It holds 60 ltrs and I filled it with tap water, although the good old Geordie weather's played its part too. So far, it plays host to two ramshorn snails and innumberable mozzy larvae. Since these pictures were taken,I have a crop of nasturtiums on the left-hand side of the pond which will provide cover for amphs and late nectar for pollinators. Watch this space...😊
  • Thats a nice idea. Looks attrwctive.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,163
    @lindsay.a.wilkinsoniuMuyhaH - have you filled it to the top to check it's level? It looks like it's on a bit of a slope, which means you'll always have edges showing. 
    It needs filled up anyway. Shallow water will heat up very quickly in spring, hence the mosquitoes   ;)
    Lots of planting nearby will give good cover for wildlife going in and out  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes, that was the initial bucket. I knew we had  heavy rain forecast (thought I'd mentioned the Geordie weather🤔?).that night.  It is slightly sloping; I dug out a huge old dead cotoneaster from the spot. However, with years of conservation volunteering/gardening behind me I have a cunning plan to dishuise the edges.👍