Forum home Tools and techniques

Using seaweed

Any tips for using seaweed in the vegetable garden?

I have plentiful amounts that I gather  every so often.

Is it best to dig it in or use it as a mulch? (how thick?)

Which veggies  might it be most suitable for ?(I have tried logans ,raspberries ,spinach ,r.beans  and fennel )

The runner beans seem to like it  but I improved the soil  a lot last year anyway.The leaves were like plates but got something of a battering in the last storm

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,863
    If you grow potatoes you can just scatter it on the soil as a mulch after planting. Thats what makes Jersey Royals taste so nice.  It could go in bean trenches, but I mix it up with the other stuff that goes in the compost heap when I can get it. That and some rock dust makes super compost.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 990
    Well, geordief, if you've got ready access to seaweed, you'll probably find new friends appear.  There are those who know an awful lot more than me about nutrition but one benefit from seaweed is its salt content that isn't harmful to many plants, but helps to keep slugs away.  They hate salt!
  • I know about it deterring slugs but I really have zero problem with them these past few years since I started using ferric phosphate.

I have slugs everywhere but never on the plants--not even the runner beans.

Around here we can get seaweed delivered by the trailer load but I just take a couple of buckets in the back of the car and bring it back every so often .

In my mind it is a miracle product (for years I would not touch it as I feared it would actually worsen the slug problem) and so I have been disappointed when the raspberries did not respond to a liberal much.

The strawberries too were very poor with a mulch

Some things (beans,spinach) did well .... I will have to see how things go next year. 

Yes the compost heap might get   some next.