Forum home Problem solving

How to get rid of these weeds?

Context: in June I cleared out this flowerbed as it has been neglected for years. I was very thorough and was careful to get the roots and little bulb-y things. And...about every week since, hundreds more appear and I repeat the process. What should I do? Just continue to sift through the soil until I eventually get them all? Someone else advised me that if I just turn over the soil, that will kill them but won’t they just grow back if I do that? 

Any advice appreciated. I’m completely new to gardening and know nothing, as it were! 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,201
    It's all part of gardening. Turn the soil as suggested, that should keep them down. Any bare soil will be colonised by weeds eventually. Insects and birds also bring them in along with the wind. But most likely disturbing soil will bring to the surface hundreds of dormant seeds. 

Close planting or plants that cover the soil will limit them popping up.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,516
    Can't really tell what they are but a couple of minutes with a hoe once or twice a week will do the job if they are annual weeds, perennial ones like dandelion and bindweed need persistence.
    Also your plant on the right needs those green ties removing.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,532
    I agree ... a Dutch hoe is what you need ... watch this little video ... it shows you what to do and gives a few other simple tips about weed control. 

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,376
    Annual weeds can be removed as already described by the others, perennials come back so you need to keep removing by getting the whole root out. However - both can seed in from other places, so you need to be vigilant. Lots of ground covering plants helps, as does a mulch of compost.
    @K67 is also right re those green ties on what looks like a clematis. Those tiles [?] need removed as well. It looks a bit close to the wall which isn't great if it's the type that needs a lot of water. It should be a bit farther away, and leant back towards a suitable support, with the stems tied on with soft string, unless it's a smaller one and you intend putting an obelisk of some kind in for it.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....