Forum home Problem solving

help!

Pyracantha - we had a lovely pyracantha in a pot, this year it flowered amazingly,  and had tonnes of leaves and berries. We were having a move round, and discovered it had massively rooted through the pot and the block paving! Very stupidly, I cut the root, fretting about the block paving, unsurprisingly,  it has gone completely brown and all berries shrivelled.  It has real sentimental value and I am wondering if we can save it? 

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    Welcome. It doesn't look very promising. How long has it been in the pot? How thick was the root you cut? Has it got anything green left on it? Have you kept it watered after you cut its roots off? I'm always looking for a challenge and will try to resurrect anything!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    The only chance that has is to be cut right back. A metal pot isn't the best thing for plants to grow in, unless they're in a shady site and in cooler areas. 

I'd get it out the pot, refresh all the soil, water regularly and cross fingers. Don't have it sitting in a hot, sunny site while recovering. There seems to be some other weeds in there too, so remove those too.
    All that brown top growth won't recover and regrow.  If you cut it back to about half the size, or to decent joints - hopefully with some green showing, it may recover.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you both so much for your prompt replies. Joy, unfortunately the root was very thick, about an inch, I'm mad with myself for cutting it. We have watered it since but probably not enough in the heat. It is very much shaded by the garage wall and has thrived there until now. FairygirI, I have begun to try and cut it back a little, the inside of the branch is green if that's what you mean? As you can see I am no gardener! I will try the new pot new soil and cut back suggestion and hope for the best.  Thanks again 😊
    They're tough plants, and there's a chance it may come away.  If there's some green still there, it's possible.  :)
    The top growth is dead, so it's no use to the plant at all, and removing it, or a good bit of it,  will simply make it easier for it to recover, as there's less 'plant' to support and keep moist.
    Hopefully, it will send out some new growth on the remainder. The dead foliage will just drop off that  :)

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 563
    edited August 2020
    It's obviously a mature plant so hopefully it will still have a fair root structure. If the branches are green they are still alive. If the twiggy bits snap off they are dead and you might as well remove them if only to make it look a bit better. I would agree that a metal container might not be the best container for any plant as they get too hot. If you are going to take it out of this, is it possible to plant it in the ground, even on a temporary basis? It needs a cool and shady spot and lots of TLC and water whether in another pot or the ground. 
  • Thanks so much both, I truly appreciate the advice. The plant was my late mum in law's, who had green fingers' and I am really sad about it,  so will try all your advice and hopefully give enough tlc to bring it back🥰
    They aren't really suited to pots, but if you have nowhere suitable to plant it, a better pot for it would be a good idea. Something glazed, for example, will help prevent too much water loss. A bigger one, anyway, would be beneficial.
    Each year, it'll need the medium it's growing in refreshed - that just means removing a bit of the soil on the surface, and replacing it with some fresh soil/compost. Any plant needs that if it's in a pot long term.
    Ideally - they like a nice bright sunny spot to flower and fruit well,  but they also grow perfectly well with a bit of shade. In hot weather, pots dry out very quickly, so a shadier spot helps prevent that, and it's certainly the best idea while it's recovering.  :)