Forum home Fruit & veg

Pesky caterpillars

As much as i love butterflies, the caterpillars have eaten their way through a months supply of brocolli leaves which I was hoping to get a crop from next year, is it to late to salvage & just let  them finish what they started?

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,139
    edited August 2020
    It's a bit soul-destroying isn't it @sueporter312002 ?

I've just picked 6 small, light-green, buggers from my radishes. Unfortunately, they'd had a very good feed before I got to them. Nicely camouflaged as well - the sneaky, wee bams!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,618
    edited August 2020
    Pick them off and do what you will with them (personally I squish them). 
    As long as the growing point in the centre of the plant is intact the plants will recover. 
    I inspect mine every morning ... and they’re netted!!! 😡 🐛 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cornellycornelly Posts: 935
    I netted our cabbage but unfortunately didn't put down enough slug pellets so they have been devoured from below.
  • cornelly said:
    I netted our cabbage but unfortunately didn't put down enough slug pellets so they have been devoured from below.
    Oh no, I haven't had a slug problem but the caterpillars are in to my brocolli big time, I think I've lost a couple of my plants, it's difficult for me to kill any insect but I don't know where to transport them all to 🤔