Forum home Tools and techniques

Gardening Trousers

K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
What do you garden in? 
I like knee pads and a couple of pockets but find most trousers are very baggy so end up in jeans and a kneeling pad.
Anyone ever bought a Genus pair for women with a hefty price tag of £125

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,193
    Shorts, t-shirt and sandals - clearly not a proper gardener yet!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,476
    as little as possible
    Devon.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 799
    My friend was gifted a pair of the Genus trousers for her birthday and she loves them. They are really comfortable, the knee pads are adjustable within the trouser and there are handy pockets that are flush with the trouser, ensuring they look stylish. They also dry out quickly if wet.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,952
    edited August 2020
    I wear Craghoppers which have gone beyond 'normal' use.  Plenty of pockets and comfortable.  I've just looked at the Genus trousers and they would seem to be very similar to Craghoppers with the exception of the knee pads and press studs at the ankle.  They are also 3 times the price of Craghoppers.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,978
     ensuring they look stylish. 

Not really a priority here😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Dickies Workwear trousers from Aldi. Lots of pockets, pouches for knee pads if required, comfortable, hard wearing, and the mud brushes off very easily.
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,598
    Shorts in summer, anything old and baggy at other times. Can't kneel anymore to do gardening so don't need knee pads.
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 700
    I wear some Peter Storm trousers. The sort sold for walkers and I was on a sabbatical at the time so probably from the cheapest range they do. About 6-7 years old now and still got some years left in them. Comfortable but looking a bit battered and saggy. They have lots of pockets and dry out very quickly and don’t cling when wet. They can also be worn as shorts or mid-calf length but to be honest after the first summer I’ve just always used them full length.

Given it’s just me and the OH in the garden and even our front garden isn’t facing a road, I’m not sure I’m bothered enough about looking stylish to spend £125. But I probably would if I was going to be (professionally) working in them.

Has reminded me that I have some knee pads somewhere which I always forget to use.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,296
    A pair of old joggers and a t-shirt is my go to...find pockets full of stuff irritating. If I need to carry many tools then put them in a tub and have it with me. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • SydRoySydRoy Posts: 166
    A pair of old joggers and a t-shirt is my go to...find pockets full of stuff irritating. If I need to carry many tools then put them in a tub and have it with me. 
    Ditto...or in winter Dickies work wear luckily provided by my employer. One thing I always try to wear (I don't always) is protective footwear when using spades or forks. I always cringe when I see folk mowing the grass in flip flops or Crocs...ouch.