Forum home Problem solving

identify plant please

Can anyone help me please?  I have just noticed this strange looking plant starting to grow in a corner of my garden. Can anyone tell me what it is called?  Thanks

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,173
    I'm wondering if it might be bramble coming through from the other side of the fence ?
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 948
    Yes. My first thought was what is on the other side of the fence.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,360
    Yes - that's something from a neighbouring plot - rose/bramble etc. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amlistsamlists Posts: 9
    Thanks for the answers.  However, there is nothing like that on the other side of the fence.  The ground is all cemented over.  I have lived in this house since the 1970's and I have never seen anything in that area before.  I would love to know what it is.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,173
    I would let it grow a bit more then post another photo. Very intriguing  :)
  • JamesS-BJamesS-B Gateshead, Tyne and WearPosts: 246
    Can you find where it starts from? In the picture it goes all the way along...... Maybe a seed ended up there from a bird. Looks like bramble or rose. 
    That is a good suggestion about a bird dropping a seed.  Also, I will let it grow a little so that I can see some leaves.  I will get another pic then.  Thanks all of you. 
  • Not sure, but possibly Houttuynia cordata.  If so, it's very invasive so you may wish to eradicate every bit as soon as  enough leaves have unfurled enough to allow identification.
    Thanks for that info.  I am watching it.....