Forum home Problem solving

Digging up a Wisteria next to the house

I inherited a Wisteria from the previous owners of our house. It rarely flowers despite me following standard pruning advice each year, and it just produces masses of long whippy branches with an abundance of leaves. I have given it lots of chances, and tried lots of different things to get it to flower over the last 10 years but with very little luck (I'm guessing it may have been propagated by seed). So I decided it needs to go so I can use the space for something nicer. The problem is that it was planted right next to the house and I don't know how to dig it out. And if I do try to dIg it out, will it affect the foundations of the house? The trunk is about 7cm diameter at the base.

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,288
    You don't say whether you can get in front and to the sides easily as you can dig round and expose the area first.
    Doesn't sound a very big trunk so you could  chop it down to around 2 to 3 ft and excavate around the base. Use the trunk to wiggle back and forth and that helps to show where the roots  so you can cut through.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,311
    Unless you want to plant in the same hole ( which is really too small ) I'd cut it off at the base and stick a bag of compost or sand or soil over the top and just leave it there for a year and it'll die. 
    I've done this with Rhodos and forsythia shrubs which were too big to dig out
    Devon.
  • Thank you both. I will try and wiggle it out, and if that doesn't work I will just cut it off and cover it so hopefully it will die.