Forum home Garden design

New Rose garden

• Lovely plan! 

Can I suggest salvias and hardy geraniums, both easy underplanting for roses in a sunny spot. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,487
    @owd potter
    ...see how you go with it, not trying to put you off..  I haven't used Cerastium in a long time because of its spreading tendencies... you just want to keep it from invading the base of the roses... but I'm a fine one to talk as I use some Geraniums which are invasive at the root, so I have to watch those..

I like Stachys... I used to use the non flowering variety called 'Silver Carpet'  it's an excellent spreading ground cover for edging purposes... truly wonderful.. I'd like to get some again actually... 

Nice idea with the GdeF rose..  it would be a shame not to make some use of that trunk..  the rose cascades somewhat so that'll suit it I think..

I see you have 'Souvenir de St. Anne's' on your list... I'm finding it a slow grower so far... edhelka might find it quicker in her garden.. but I did move mine.. otherwise, onwards and upwards... you deserved a nice cup of tea or two today...

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,003
    I have it in my head as May-flowering, I had to check my photos from previous years to be sure. It flowers from early May to mid-June, so there is some overlap with roses. Probably more in areas with warmer springs than we have. Roses are usually only just starting here in mid-June.
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 521
    @Marlorena
    Thanks. 
    I welcome your comments as knowledgeable input to help refine my ideas and avoid making obvious blunders, certainly do not view them as putting me off.
    I have Souvenir de St Annes in as a suggestion from @Nollie, as I want to include some pure whites and fancy something different.
    I will add Desdemona and, if I can get it, Lady Emma Hamilton when I can find them but I have time to finalise the remaining 3/4 places, so I am open and welcome any suggestions for roses that are pure white and fragrant  

Just another day at the plant...
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,121
    Hmm, I am wondering about suggesting Souvenir de St Annes now! It is more blush pink rather than pure white. It was Edhelka’s lovely photos that persuaded me to get it.  But Desdemona can be a bit blush too occasionally as many white roses can be. Maybe Boule de Neige would be purer white? Susan Williams-Ellis is pure white, but very compact, the blooms shatter very fast and fragrance is not very strong.

Here is my first SdeSA bloom:

@owd potter
    I do love the scent of Souvenir de St Anne's I must say.. just wish it was a bit quicker off the mark but that may be due to my conditions..

You didn't mention scented yellows, but if you haven't got either 'The  Poet's Wife' or 'Absolutely Fabulous' on your list, then you should consider either of those for a yellow... 'AF' is just out of this world if I'm honest, for a bulky floribunda, scented and with large glossy foliage... it did black spot first year, but none thereafter.... really, a truly great rose from the U.S..   for something smaller then 'Golden Beauty' or 'The Wren' ..  I understand Lady Emma H suffers from rust quite a  bit...

For scented whites you should consider 'Chandos Beauty' which is a blush white, with hints of peach..  'Sweet Child of Mine' which is an aniseed scented, continuous blooming and healthy rose.. good rain resistance too..  'Susan Williams-Ellis' an Austin highly scented but the flowers don't last long, but given time to develop I think it's worth considering.. and 'Pearl Drift'.. a pure white sweetly scented, with dark glossy and healthy foliage..

I've heard good reports of A Whiter Shade of Pale but I don't have it..
    Some of the best scented white roses are old fashioned once blooming roses, and I don't think you want those..

'Absolutely Fabulous'.. semi mature..

'Sweet Child of Mine'.. young, first season..

'Pearl Drift'.. young, first season... it has beautiful pink buds too..

'Chandos Beauty'...

..sorry to bombard your thread with pictures.. you know what I'm like.. 
    Yes, I've just commented the same thing on your pic on main rose thread @Nollie
    ..just to say, I find Souvenir de St Anne's to be more blush pink early on, later flowers are more white..

Marlorena said:

..sorry to bombard your thread with pictures.. you know what I'm like.. 
    Bombard away, we do, and we love you for it.
    Thanks @Nollie & @Marlorena for the alternative suggestions, I will investigate these further.