Forum home Garden design

New Rose garden

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,022
    I’m guessing it could be Blue for you?............I would like to know as well 😀
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,389
    I have made a little rose garden here myself, I started off planting roses with the names of my son and his two Grandma's, random choices really, but they all look well together. I have added more, but I am now trying to build up the 'underplanting'. I seem to struggle with it, the balance between filling the gaps and creating space for the roses. I have been looking at your choices and certainly will be trying a few of those. 
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 521
    Haha, , sorry @owd potter, my mistake, I have taken your reference to Blue Moon as my Blue for You rose (B4U). Still a beautiful rose though. 
    Phew!, thanks for that. I've been racking my brain with that one.
    Blue Moon has a sentimental attachment for me, although there are probably far better lilac/mauve coloured roses available now. I like the look of Eleanor for instance and I'll check B4U :) too.
    I have not included it in my planting plan for this bed as yet as I'm not entirely sure that the pale colour will add the impact that I previously imagined.
    I may do as Nollie suggested and pot it to see how the colours work together.  
    Just another day at the plant...
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,389
    Sorry for the confusion.  :blush:

I think the emotional attachment makes growing something extra special and perhaps the pot is the best option for now, once it has all flowered this year you will have a much better idea what works and what doesn't. Also, if it's in a pot you will be able to move it around and 'test' the look of it. 

I do remember my dad growing, and getting very excited about Blue Moon when I was a child.  :)
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
    Underplanting is a bit of a lottery for me too, I tend toward reusing plants that I have around the garden, which, as a happy coincidence, improves the cohesion overall as a consequence of repetition.
    I like grey and glaucous foliage which works very well with whites and yellows especially.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,487
    @owd potter
    ..I like your plan, it looks quite professional...  

What is that tree you have at the end?  I see it as a ready made pillar... I'd have a rambling rose going up that..

I see you are using Cerastium tomentosum for ground cover... it's quite pretty with nice silvery foliage, but you will have seen how it spreads... it will make a bee line for your roses..  how many plants of this are you putting in?... 

I like your grass border too, I shall be interested to see that develop.. exciting projects for you and for us to follow... 
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 818
    Yes, I've been admiring your plan too ... even down to the very neat and artistic handwriting!
    Thanks @Marlorena
    The tree is a rather tall Cordyline Australis, and I am thinking to use the trunk as a additional support to train GdeF to and around.
    I like the grey foliage of Cerastium as a foil in white and yellow schemes, although I find the flowers can be a little too white so need to use with care, but it will be good to flow over and soften the hard edges of the bed walls.
    I was thinking to use Cerastium and Stachys (another favourite of mine in white schemes) in equal measure among the roses, together with Lavender and Verbena Bonariensis. 
    Do you think this will prove too much competition for the roses? 
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,003
    @owd potter Cerastium is fine if you are ready to cut it back and uproot where needed two to three times per year. Otherwise, it will smother everything.
    I still have it in my raised bed but I removed it from my other beds. It was just a bit too much for me.
    Also, it doesn't flower with roses. Which is both an advantage and disadvantage, depending on what you want.
    Thanks @edhelka
    I'll keep a close eye on it to curb it's spreading habit.
    I've not put it together with roses before and it's interesting that it will not flower with them, is there a reason for this?