Forum home Garden design

New Rose garden

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,121
    Maybe you should go for Gran’s rose anyway, lovely to have something to remember her by, but you could always try it in a pot first to see what you think. 
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 521
    My planting plan.
    At 1 I'm favouring RD I think
    at 5, either Lichfield Angel or Buff Beauty, both of these are large roses and will displace others so I will lose spot 7
    I like Souvenir de St Annes, thanks to @Nollie for the suggestion, but as this is a large rose it will also take up 2 spots on my plan. 
    I would like Lady Em, if I can get it, at 6 for a strong colour focal point. 
    Any comments or suggestions welcome.
    I'm just not entirely sure whether there are too many just slightly different shades in here or I may be better sticking to either orangey shades or yellowish shades together with white?
    Your thoughts?

Just another day at the plant...
    Planning is tricky I find, as one never knows how large a rose will actually grow for you. Some here have never reached stated size and others grown much larger. I would be inclined to choose one larger rose to take centre stage then stagger the smaller ones around either side, but it’s such a personal thing and there are no rules.

I like all shades of orange and yellow together and coincidentally my new climbing rose bed will be soft oranges, yellows, purple and white, so I would of course say you don’t need to choose between orange or yellow tones 😊 Underplanting (or between planting) can separate any colours you think are too close or may clash.
    Thanks @Nollie
    I was aware that you have an oranges & lemons scheme so was looking forward to your comments.
    It will be an evolving thing, but one has to have a plan to start somewhere right?, and I'm basically thinking that the 2 large shrubs, SdSA & LA, which I think I prefer at 5, will form the anchors for the bed and then I shall add around them, and underplanting around them as required, as you say.
    I shall take advantage of the DA discount and buy up 4 of these bare root now, and add others at end of the year.
    Many thanks
    I am sure it will look wonderful, yes indeed we have to start somewhere. The bed described above is not my Oranges and Lemons bed, the original is strictly those two colours, the perennials too. This new bed is against a north fence, principally for three climbers, Mme. Alfred Carriere (white) Duchesse d’Auerstadt (warm yellow/orange) and Graham Thomas (yellow). I also have a selection of rescue and new rose shrubs that I may incorporate, space permitting. It will be my turn to ask for advice on that soon!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,148
    I grow Claire Austin up the side of my arbour and halfway over the top (with difficulty) so about 7ft-8ft tall. It throws up very slender, long canes, half of which are tied to the arbour and half I just leave to slightly flop. The smallish flowers are a creamy white on opening with a pale lemony centre and are incurved petals, which are spoilt sometimes by rain. It flowers on and off until Oct/Nov. The perfume is lovely, although not strong. I'll try to find a pic later.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,389
    I am really enjoying this thread and following with interest @owd potter. I have B4U, in fact I now have 3 of them, I adore them. The oldest and therefore more established one (10 years plus) is a much deeper shade and a much stronger scent but I am not sure if that is an age or location thing. The younger two are in a sunnier spot, that might make a difference. 

I am absolutely no expert, not even close, but I do love connecting colour schemes and as long as they 'flow' and merge I think shades can be varied. I think yours looks fine on paper and I am sure in reality, especially with the lovely fragrance it give off it will be super. And as @Nollie says, you have to start somewhere. I admire all your meticulous planning and research too. Really looking forward to seeing future pictures. :)
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
    Hi @Lizzie27
    I went with Ghislaine de Feligonde for my climber which I now have on order.
    Claire Austin looks a beautiful rose on DA website and if they had had it in stock I think it may just have won the day.
    @D0rdogne_Damsel
    Thank you for your comments and interest
    I have tried, but I just can't connect the dots... what is B4U ?
    I'll keep adding more pics as I progress with this bed, glad you enjoy them 
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,389
    Haha, , sorry @owd potter, my mistake, I have taken your reference to Blue Moon as my Blue for You rose (B4U). Still a beautiful rose though. 
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin