Forum home Garden design

New Rose garden

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,146
    @owd potter, it was me who commented, not the other Lizzie!

I have Lady Emma Hamilton, nice bushy habit, red leaves when young, orange, gorgeous scent. Lady of Shallot is lovely too but grows taller and more upright. I also had Summer Song with them, more reddish orange, but they all went well together. I've moved house but bought a new Lady Emma for my new house. I've planted purple lavenders, salvias, Verbena "Lollipop" and nepeta "Walker's Low" with my roses here.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 521
    Thanks for that @Busy-Lizzie,
    My attention must have waned in the aftermath of all that digging and concrete mixing...well that's my excuse anyway 
    Your colour scheme and companion planting sounds like just what I am looking for.
    Depending on type and habit I estimate that I will be able to get about 10 roses into this bed.
    I don't intend just using Austins but would like to include different types of roses (which I know little of right now) such as old roses etc to bring different benefits and create a balanced mixed rose bed.  
    Just another day at the plant...
    That's OK @owd potter :)
    I have a lovely orange shrub rose, but it grows quite big, Westerland, by Kordes. I bought it from Peter Beales Classic Roses, having seen it in their garden.

Most of the old classic shrub roses are various shades of pink. I have a bed with some but not with the oranges.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    Bed structure coming along.

Just have to close the bed now, laying a block course across this open end to connect back to the brick kerb on rhs.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,148
    It's going to look good when it's finished.
    Here is the basic idea that I am working on in my head.
    I drew this up for shrub/bush roses with a likely eventual spread of 900mm, which seemed reasonable at the time for the plants I am considering.

However, intuitively, standing beside the bed this seems too cautious and the bed looks as if it will support more than 6 roses.
    I have therefore redrawn for a 750mm spread which seems better.

Any thoughts appreciated on which is the more realistic model?    

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,121
    That’s going to be simply fabulous, owd potter. I second Lady Em for fragrance and repeat flowering if you can get hold of it. For non DA roses, there are some lovely fragrant old whites and two I have new this year are Marie Pavie (polyantha) and Souvenir de St Annes (bourbon) but others on the rose thread can tell you more, since I haven’t had a chance to sniff them yet. I’m wondering if Buff Beauty might suit for a fragrant pale yellow? It seems it can get large but since you have more space than you thought.. Currently in my oranges and lemons rose bed I have Lady Em, Golden Celebration (being replaced by a fragrant Delbard yellow as it’s too floppy in habit for me), Julia Child, Super Trouper and Golden Beauty. The DAs and the future Delbard are/will be the most fragrant though.

I use purple perennials a lot amongst roses, lots of salvias especially as they are properly purple. ‘Purple’ roses can go more pink/burgundy and lilac can look pale pink, so bear that in mind in relation to your colour scheme if you are keen to avoid any hint of pink!
    @Nollie, thanks for dropping in & your input.
    Last first, yes I prefer to avoid pinks here, and am planning a scheme based on white, orange (muted shades rather than Jaffa!) and yellow/creme, I have Buff Beauty on my list.
    I'm also musing adding a strong complementary for impact and to pop it all, hence a purple/lilac/violet such as  Blue Moon which was Grans fav rose, but I'm not sure on this and I do note your comments on these turning pink.
    I am currently thinking grey/silver leaved plants for underplanting, lavenders and stachys, Cerastium maybe (which I have in abundance already around the garden) to flow over the edge of the walls.
    For my climber on the trellis screen I am looking at medium climbers and have a current shortlist of:
    1. Claire Austin
    2. Ghislane de Feligonde
    3. Penny Lane
    4. Wicharana. 
    Any other similar suggestions welcome.
    Exciting and challenging planning a new scheme...

edited 5 April
    I liked my daughter's Ghislaine de Féligonde so much that I bought one. It's still a baby though. Its two colours will suit your colour scheme perfectly but it can get quite wide.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    edited 5 April
    I'm going to be torn between those 4 @Busy-Lizzie, they all appear suitable and to bring different aspects, 
    all are noted strong fragrance so they all tick my box on that
    I like GdF it's variable colouring as you say,
    Claire Austin looks a beautiful rose on DA website
    I like PL for it's noted exceptional health on TW site
    I like the idea of RW as it's once flowering so may dovetail nicely with other repeat flowering shrubs.
    Choices, choices?... 
    I'll hope for some input from anyone who grows these to assist me to decide