Forum home Wildlife gardening

Where are all the Ladybirds?

I have several plants - most of them Lupins - infested with Aphids for weeks now, but not a single Ladybird in sight.

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 578
    Grow a cistus rock rose, they were all over my 2 shrubs, all the babies on every tip. I don’t even think the shrub has much aphids so maybe I should have spread them around the garden more.
  • AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 199
    It took me a couple of weeks of removing aphids from four obelisks of sweet peas before the ladybirds and then a robin arrived to clean them all up in a few days.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,751
    I actually saw one the other day, it's rare to spot one here and not much more frequent to see an aphid, apart from in the greenhouse. The birds and other insects must be really on to them, as I never have to do anything. Not good news for ladybirds though...

• B3B3 Posts: 18,717
    edited August 2020
    I haven't seen one this year😒
    We've had loads of sparrows, but few aphids. Maybe they're eating all of their food.
    There's only so many aphids to go around.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,084
    I've not seen any either, but nor have i seen aphids
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,529
    I found half of one in a spider's web but that's all I've seen in months.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,927
    I keep seeing ladybirds on the grapevine, runner beans and the echium. No sign of aphids there, but maybe that’s because the ladybirds hang out there. Not in huge numbers, but there’s always one or two. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• sarinkasarinka Posts: 269
    I see them periodically, on my lavatera and other aphid-y flowers, but never more than one at a time.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Just had two clematissusssses delivered and they each came with one.

And proper ones too, not those harlequin ones.🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Here are some!😊😊
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.