Forum home Problem solving

Dwarf Comice pear problem

I have a lovely dwarf pear tree and was so pleased to have had help identifying pear rust and can now control it.  However, I now have a problem with the fruit.  There were a lot of lovely looking fruit but as they began to ripen I soon noticed some brown crusty looking stuff on the skin then some holes.  Also, some fruit without visible holes are still the same inside and it looks like something has entered where the blossom was.  The pictures show what is inside these pears.  I have picked about 6-7 so far and the ones left on the tree don't seem to have holes.  The fruit tastes lovely and I eat what I can salvage from each fruit.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this and if there is anything I can do about it?

Thanks, Joan

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,176
    Spookily enough,  l was asked this by my neighbour a few days ago. He'd had a similar problem with his pears and asked me if l had any idea what caused it. Not being a fruit grower l said l'd have a look on here and came across your question Joan.
    I know it's a few months late, but hopefully someone can help us both  :)
  • Hi Anni
    Actually no one replied to my post 'till you 😒 😀. However, I did some surfing around on the net and I think it was the Coddling moth grub.  I believe there are sprays for this to be applied in June (don't rely 100% on me as I still need to research further)!  Hope this is the answer as the pears tasted lovely😀.
    Thanks a lot for your message and fingers crossed for your neighbour and me next season.
    Joan
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,372
    It does look like a grub of some kind. I wonder if @BobTheGardener knows. 
    I think @Dovefromabove grows pears too, so she might know. 

Often - if there's a lot of foliage etc left around the base of fruit trees, grubs can over winter easily, and that's when it becomes difficult to keep in check, so good husbandry is always advisable. I don't grow them though, so don't take my word for it! It's still good to have a general clear up. One of the barrier methods round the trunks might be the answer.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi Fairygirl,
    Thanks for the info.  Yes, I've heard of the barrier method so probably will get something as well as spray for the moths.  Can't hurt to have 'belt and braces'!
    Joan
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,176
    Thanks @Fairygirl and @pondy1955, l will pass the message on  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,514
    I do have a pear tree ... a young Concorde planted about 8 years ago and espaliered ... it does get a bit of pear rust and I try to be rigorous about removing affected leaves ... but thankfully we’ve not experienced the problem you’re having so far ... I’ll keep an eye on this thread and hope you find something that helps. 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi Dovefromabove,
    You guys will be the first to know if I find something to prevent this pest.  I also get pear rust but pounce on affected leaves immediately which has cut it down to a small amount.
    Joan
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,983
    I get this in Apples but I have not had it with pears,  but I get plenty of other problems.  Not sure if actual coddling moth is the cause but it will be something similar.  Grease bands work on winter moths which climb the trunk and hide in bark crevices. With Apples there are pheromone traps for coddling moth. They trap the males & stop the females laying viable eggs. Not sure if that works for pears.
    AB Still learning

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,983
    Looks like I forgot to  post above from this am. Since then I have checked my books & it seems that pears are affected by coddling moth . The pheromone traps are meant to be used to tell you when to spray ( count the numbers trapped,  spray at peak). Even if you don't spray it will reduce the attack. 
    AB Still learning

• Thanks so much Allotment Boy.  I guess I should apply the grease band asap.  Might be daft question but when should the pheromone traps be put in place?
    Joan