Forum home Tools and techniques

Horse manure

BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,193
Is the theory that if compost/manure smells really bad, it isn't ready for use correct? Or have I just made that up?

I've bought some horse manure from B&Q recently and it ponks!

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,955
    I suppose it depends on what you think is a pong. It should smell like rich earth. 
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,193
    Not quite @Posy.  It smells like horse sh!t  :D:D:D

The dried chicken manure pellets don't half hum as well!

Yes, chicken pellets are revolting. If the manure smells of the stable, leave it to mature. You could add it to your compost heap. It will soon sweeten up!
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,017
    I tried two or three brands of bagged manures and all smell. But when I spread it as a mulch, it dissipates after a day max, usually sooner. I think it is perfectly safe to use.
    I have only bought the loose stuff, usually in those big sacks. A business locally collects it from stable yards and delivers to the house. Lovely stuff and no nasty niffs.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 894
    There's one caveat about livery yard manure, especially from the upper class establishments.  In order to keep the animals in pristine condition, visually at least, they tend to be more generous in the amounts of wood shavings etc. they put in the stalls but, while this achieves its purpose for both animals and owners, what is cleaned out each day has very little nutritional value for gardening purposes.
    Yes, straw is best, but it isn't about being posh, nick615. Some owners use a deep bed system which reduces the mucking out and some just want their animals to be more comfortable. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,435
    Most yards use shavings @nickten, and have done for years.
    It's perfectly good for garden use, following the usual procedure of making sure it isn't fresh. Far better than the bagged stuff. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to it, a I don't work there any more. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,804
    I get my horse manure delivered in bags and I  help them dump it over my raised beds and they take the bags away to re use.

Just had 40 bags and I will get 80 more to do the job properly.

The best stuff is when its been stored for 2 years and shredded and an added bonus is lots of brandling worms to take the goodness down into the soil for you.

They usually take about 2 - 3 minutes to completely disappear.

No digging just watching it vanish !!
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • The Young Farmers down here do a annual Dung Run, for charity, £2.50 per bag, delivered. Lovely stuff, trouble is my dog thinks his Christmas's have all come together. He gets stuck in to eating as much as he can. It doesn't smell too bad and does the veg. a world of good.