Forum home Garden design

Update on unsafe outbuilding. Now it's a summerhouse!

I thought some of you might like to see the outcome of the problem I had with my outbuilding back in early summer, especially @Hostafan1, @Dovefromabove, @raisingirl, @AnniD, @Fairygirl, @SlipperyElm, @Lizzie27, @wild edges.

Thankfully, it was possible to save the building and I found a wonderful creative builder who has re-built the roof and turned it into a summerhouse/shed for me. I am absolutely delighted with the end result and looking forward to also using it during the winter once I get the electricity connected.

Thanks to all of you for your previous comments and advice.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,728
    What a fabulous result ... congratulations to you and to the builder ... there are some stars out there if you look for them.  Very envious  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 577
    That looks like an amazing space now. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,225
    I'm so pleased that you were able to save it. That is a fantastic job.
    Jealous! 
     :) 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    Wow!
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,746
    Gorgeous 😍
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,693
    thank you for the update. Great job he's made of it  :)
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,771
    That's a very good job - brilliant builder! So pleased you were able to save it.
    Thanks for letting us know.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,116
    Fantastic job @Woostie. You must be thrilled  :)

When can I move in?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    I'm so glad you found someone who managed to save it, especially with those nice slates intact. Did he add height front and back or just to the front?
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 49
    Thanks for all the lovely comments although I can't take any credit for it myself, it was totally the builder's idea.  I am thrilled to bits with how it's turned out and so very pleased that the building has been saved.

@wild edges, the builder slightly altered the angle of the roof at the front to accommodate the French doors and re-used all the original tiles. Here are the before and after photos from the back too.