Forum home Wildlife gardening

Cabbage White caterpillar yellow goo...?

Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 251
Yesterday I noticed that some of my cabbage white caterpillars were climbing up the side of my house - away from any plants they might like. Didn't think too much about it,but odd maybe, but assumed they had a purpose, until I looked later and there was yellow goo coming from the caterpillars.

One caterpillar had disappeared from the wall, leaving behind a pile of yellow goo (which the snail decided to snack on), and the other had slightly slimy looking yellow goo coming from underneath it.

What is this? I've tried googling it, but the closest I can find is a site suggesting that myabe it was a parasitic wasp hatching..... Can anyone confirm this, or if not, tell me what the yellow goo-looking stuff is? I've never seen this before!

I've attached some photos (apologies, a couple are a bit blurry - it was my camera phone in low light).

• Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 251
    Bump?
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,480
    @Anna33 I am bumping up your thread for you again as I would like to know what other posters think it could be. Let's hope someone sees it this time and gives you an answer. :)
  • Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 251
    Heehee, @Fran IOM , I think the answer is just deafening silence!

It will just go down as one of those garden mysteries that never gets solved! Thanks for the bump, though. :)
    There's still time yet.... :D
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 31
    Hiya, I think this is your answer and you are correct! 

http://www.theevolvingplanet.com/parasitic-wasp-caterpillars-bodyguards/

I have seen this in my own garden too recently, grim but fascinating all the same! 
    @Anna33 Patience is a virtue they say.... 
    @Fatsia Many thanks for your input. Watched that recently on a programme but can't remember which one. As you say grim but extremely clever on the wasp's behalf. That's nature for you.  :)