Forum home The potting shed

Tennis elbow?

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,845
    Oh yes, same here. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • I developed tennis elbow years ago as a result of too much gripping and twisting while weeding/pulling out brambles/prolonged use of loppers/secateurs during a garden clearance. Thinking it would eventually heal itself, I tried specific exercises and wearing the velcro strap, finally seeking help from my GP, who referred me for physiotherapy.  Laser treatment didn't work for me but acupuncture did the trick.  It may not be effective for everyone but is an option if nothing else seems to be working.  It may seem to many like a minor complaint but I do sympathise, as it's very difficult to do even simple tasks such as gripping a toothbrush, so good luck 🙂
    Thanks @purpletreacle (sorry, didn't see this reply until now). I'll keep acupuncture in mind. The strap seems to be helping a little bit, but I do find I want to tighten it and tighten it, which is probably not good! Was it a course of acupuncture you had, or a single treatment? And were you able to go back to full use after that, or do you still have to be careful?
    - Cicero
  • After the first (30-min?) treatment it was instantly hugely improved: felt like a seized-up valve had finally been released (allowing the ki/chi to flow, if you believe in that kind of thing!)  I had two follow-ups in the next two weeks but they didn't improve it much more. It's still vulnerable and I have to be careful not to trigger it, even years later... Not carrying heavy watering cans/bags,  remembering to hold the nozzle upside down when filling up at the petrol pump. basically anything that puts strain on the tendon.  Strangely, playing tennis is fine 😂
    I was afraid you were going to say that, re vulnerability :'(.  This has certainly highlighted for me how very often I lift heavy items, rely on my right hand and forearm to steady/balance things, hold that arm at an odd angle to do stuff etc. Now it hurts even to lift the kettle and make a cup.of tea. Damn.
    - Cicero
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,454
    This makes interesting reading.
    There are braces which can help if you need to carry on lifting things as part of your work.

• I'm no medic but think a combined approach will help it along: 
    Do several repetitions of prescribed exercises every day.
    Wear the elbow strap.
    Use a rucksack instead of carrying bags (put the straps over BOTH shoulders to avoid back/neck problems)
    Use your other hand/arm wherever possible for everyday tasks, including training yourself to use a computer mouse with the other hand, pushing the vacuum cleaner, etc.
    It will feel awkward using your non-dominant side but you need to avoid aggravating the strain to give it the best chance of recovering quickly.  
    Luckily not for work, @Palustris, just for life. Yes, I am trying to train myself to use my left hand for things @purpletreacle, and I always use shoulder bags / rucksacks anyway. But I am VERY right handed, absolutely useless with my left, so it's not proving easy as I'm so clumsy left-handed! And am about to go on a week's canal trip with 116 locks  :s... the kids will do most of the winding I guess.
    - Cicero
  • Ah, you didn't mention before that you have SLAVES!  Easy - put the arm in a sling for the entire canal trip and be waited on - that's a real holiday.
  • ErgatesErgates DevonPosts: 46
    Mine was brought on by lifting my then toddler. Had a steroid injection which quickly fixed it. Been fine for the past 38 years. I do make sure I don’t strain either elbow by being careful with heavy shopping bags etc, but can pretty well do what I want to do.