Forum home Plants

A few plant IDs from an overgrown plot

a1154a1154 Posts: 1,107
Hi, I’m looking at a plot which has more ground elder than I’ve ever seen before! plus all the usual weedy suspects. I have never seen this before though, but internet searches come up with Russian Vine. Can anyone confirm? I have more pics if it’s unclear.

• a1154a1154 Posts: 1,107
    2. Lots of smallish trees looking like this one

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,865
    I'd agree with russian vine, the other looks like elder
    Devon.
    The vine is huge. Vast. Up trees and blooming. Does Russian vine grow so massive? 
    Elder ? Is it the same as this one then....? sorry if I’m being dim. 

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 579
    Yes that picture is elder. Another name for Russian Vine is 'Mile a minute vine', tells you all you need to know!
    Thanks. Is the Russian vine likely to be a single plant then, or does it multiply to take over the world?
    It seems to have spread to several gardens. How is it best dealt with when there is such a mass of it? 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    Agent Orange would be your best bet, I expect the USA still has a stock. I am surprised Trump hasn't suggested it as a cure for COVID.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
    Haha. Id better get lots then, I’ve got bindweed and ground elder as well. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    Where I lived before, the previous madam of the house had put in a Russian vine. It had taken over half of the garden, covered the chicken pen and the whole garage. I cut it all down and found the place where it was planted, dug that all out. It was a lot of work but we weren't troubled by it again. 

Ah ok...that means it’s likely to be from a single plant then. Not even sure if it’s in my garden or someone else’s, at the moment.