Forum home Plants

A few plant IDs from an overgrown plot

a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 951
Hi, I’m looking at a plot which has more ground elder than I’ve ever seen before! plus all the usual weedy suspects. I have never seen this before though, but internet searches come up with Russian Vine. Can anyone confirm? I have more pics if it’s unclear.

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 951
    2. Lots of smallish trees looking like this one

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,682
    I'd agree with russian vine, the other looks like elder
    Devon.
    The vine is huge. Vast. Up trees and blooming. Does Russian vine grow so massive? 
    Elder ? Is it the same as this one then....? sorry if I’m being dim. 

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 521
    Yes that picture is elder. Another name for Russian Vine is 'Mile a minute vine', tells you all you need to know!
    Thanks. Is the Russian vine likely to be a single plant then, or does it multiply to take over the world?
    It seems to have spread to several gardens. How is it best dealt with when there is such a mass of it? 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,359
    Agent Orange would be your best bet, I expect the USA still has a stock. I am surprised Trump hasn't suggested it as a cure for COVID.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
    Haha. Id better get lots then, I’ve got bindweed and ground elder as well. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Where I lived before, the previous madam of the house had put in a Russian vine. It had taken over half of the garden, covered the chicken pen and the whole garage. I cut it all down and found the place where it was planted, dug that all out. It was a lot of work but we weren't troubled by it again. 

Ah ok...that means it’s likely to be from a single plant then. Not even sure if it’s in my garden or someone else’s, at the moment.