Forum home Problem solving

What’s wrong with my Japanese holly cloud tree?

Hi all, I’m really sad, bought this ilex crenata holly cloud tree from the garden centre and planted it at the start of July last month. The leaves have all turned brown and shedding. And I don’t know what’s wrong with it. Thought these plants were pretty hardy and they were evergreen? I had made sure I added some grit to improve drainage mixed with compost for mature plants (John Ines 3). Any ideas at all how I can save it? Thanks very much. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862
    Planting anything in July is dodgy. Did you soak the rootball first? Have you soaked it regularly since?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Oh no I didn’t! Oh dear, what have I done!! Is there anything I can do now to save it @fidgetbones
    I would be inclined to dig the whole thing up and dunk it in a bucket of water overnight. Then replant and give it a bucket of water on alternate days in this  hot weather, then once a week from September until  the ground all round it is permanently damp.  Good luck, I expect it was quite expensive.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Ok thanks very much for the advice @fidgetbones I will try that, fingers crossed! 
  • I still don’t understand how not soaking the rootball before planting the ilex would cause all the leaves to turn brown and drop off so suddenly though. I have been watering it every other day since I bought it, and then thoroughly right after planting it. All the other plants in the same border are thriving except for this one. Perhaps it’s a lot more fussy and doesn’t like to be grounded at this time? 
    If the rootball was dryish when it went into the ground, water then just does not penetrate enough. I soak a rootball first, dig a hole, backfill with soil, and then add more water so that the soil is in good contact with the rootball. Then the roots should come out of the rootball to search for water. However a rootbound plant just plonked in the soil, will dry out, and not properly settle in, just sitting there as if it was still in a pot.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,223
    Even in an average summer, that would take a while to establish, and would need copious watering - in addition to what @fidgetbones has said re soaking first.

In the kind of conditions many areas have had, and are still having, it makes it even harder. All hollies prefer some respite from sun, especially the excessive temps that have been seen recently. Established ones can manage. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SuffolkspurSuffolkspur SuffolkPosts: 3
    I have an ilex cloud tree also. The top ball has completely shed its leaves, is there anything I can do to save it?
    Suffolk novice

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,368
    Hi @jonmumby10yrWMYV4

Can you show us some photos of your ilex please, and tell us more about it ... where it's planted, what sort of soil, how long you've had it etc.

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,223
    edited 17 January
    If it's similar to the original poster's photo, the advice would be the same as above @jonmumby10yrWMYV4.
    Otherwise, as @Dovefromabove says - some photos and more info would be helpful. Your location and the surroundings are factors too   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....